DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a pvc roof put on my flat roof. The scuppers will be 3" diameter drains installed in the corners and side walls. It is my responsibility to connect to those lines with my downspouts, elbows and take away lines. I have chosen 3" because the existing scuppers are 1 1/2 inch and are continually clogged with nettles and sometime pinecones from surrounding trees. I thought 3 " would help that. However, I can't seem to find any 3" diameter galvy or aluminum material. So the question is should I get 3" to 2"x3" rectangular downspouts? Does anyone no where to find 3" here in the Northwest near Seattle or Portland? Or maybe I should use a 3"x2" transition and go to that material which seems much more readily available. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Does your roof have a parapet wall around it? If it does many codes require one scupper, usually higher than the others, to be open and not piped. Then if the roof drains plug, there is an emergency escape route for water that will be noticed when water cascades off the roof and down the side of the building. It is better than having water pond and get too heavy.
3" round is about 7 square inches and 2" by 3" is 6 square inches. In our area, downspouts and accessories are readily available in 2" by 3" and in 3" by 4" sizes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.