DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on using a Diamond Vogel or any other brand for that matter flat ceiling paint as my primer for drywall?

I have a knock down texture on ceiling and orange peel on the walls.

Think that would work well or do I need to find a specific primer?

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Never heard of Diamond Vogel, where are you?
No way would I just use just paint or the so called primer and paint in one.
Use Zinsser 123 then 2 coats or flat paint.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Nothing technically wrong with it. Some drywall manufacturers recommend a coat of quality flat paint as a first coat after finishing. From the USG joint compound specs,

"A prime coat of Sheetrock brand First CoatTM primer or a good quality interior latex flat wall paint with a high solids content should be applied undiluted and allowed to dry before decoration. [painting]"

https://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG...ll-purpose-joint-compound-submittal-J1969.pdf

There are valid reasons to use specific primers in some situations. Personally I prefer painting over a better sealed surface than flat paint provides and often use something like Zinsser 123 instead. However there's nothing technically wrong with using flat paint as a first coat over properly finished and dusted gypsum panels, especially if it's a textured ceiling. It's commonly done.

Biggest drawback in finishing without a primer that at least seals somewhat is subsequent coats are harder to apply because of the high porosity of the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.