DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have very old shingles with vinyl side over it. We are installing a new roof. How would one get the flashing installed right against the plywood if shingles/vinyl siding installed? It seems like the house should go over the flashing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Whatever underlayment or wrap is under the siding goes over the flashing.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
If you mean roofing over old shingles, vinyl siding should be removed, new roof and flashing, then return the siding.

You could try cutting out old shingles, carefully save the old flashing if condition looks ok, esp the galvanizing, and install the roofing using the old flashing. This was done before, but with longer life shingles, not sure if old flashing can last another 30 years.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you mean roofing over old shingles, vinyl siding should be removed, new roof and flashing, then return the siding.

You could try cutting out old shingles, carefully save the old flashing if condition looks ok, esp the galvanizing, and install the roofing using the old flashing. This was done before, but with longer life shingles, not sure if old flashing can last another 30 years.
I'm a little confused ..so right now I have(against side of house) plywood, house wrap, shingles and vinyl over that. I assume the flashing is goes right up against the plywood with all the other layers( house wrap. Shingles etc ) on top. How would the roofer now get the new flashing to sit under the shingles and house wrap?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
As I understand you have 2 layers of siding, consisting of shingles with vinyl siding over them. Under everything and on top of the plywood is ideal. If that can’t happen take a row or two of vinyl siding off until you expose the second row of shingles up from the roof. Pry the bottom of that row of shingles out enough to get the flashing as far as you can up under it. Then nail the shingles back tight and put the vinyl back on. The little bit of water that finds its way behind the vinyl will be diverted out.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood. You can unzip, search vinyl side removing tool and learn on youtube, longer part of the siding and look if house wrap was used over the old siding. If yes, you can use new flashing under that house wrap.

Next is what patchap says, check if the flashing you have can be reused. If glued to the roofing, it is not easy to separate. Oscillating saw could work, although you probably have to clean the blade often and keep a wet rag of mineral spirits.

If no, what old thomas says. It will be time to do a major surgery.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you checked to see if the flashing is in good shape or it needs to be replaced?
Under 2 layers of siding, maybe someone put new steps in at some point.
I need to check.

Sorry, I misunderstood. You can unzip, search vinyl side removing tool and learn on youtube, longer part of the siding and look if house wrap was used over the old siding. If yes, you can use new flashing under that house wrap.

Next is what patchap says, check if the flashing you have can be reused. If glued to the roofing, it is not easy to separate. Oscillating saw could work, although you probably have to clean the blade often and keep a wet rag of mineral spirits.

If no, what old thomas says. It will be time to do a major surgery.
ThAnks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.