DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am working on vinyl siding my house. I have taken off the old siding, installed foam board and have wrapped the house in Tyvek. My concern is at the windows. Because I windows were installed before I wrapped the house, how do I make sure that the windows are properly sealed to make sure water does not get behind the Tyvek, foam board and on to the sheathing?

Thanks,

·
Handyman
806 Posts
You could fold the Tyvek into the seams and fill the gaps with expanding foam insulation. That stuff sticks to EVERYTHING:eek: When its dry, cut the excess with a knife before you install the j-mold and drip cap.

PS: Use the foam sparingly...too much could expand enough to buckle walls and distort window frames.

·
I have gas!
2,337 Posts
Will you have access to the window flanges? If so cover them with a rubber membrane product like Grace vycor.
At the top of the window install a rain cap (using caulk) first and vycor over that.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
its almost impossible to reflash these windows without removing them and installing a sill flashing,are you wraping the windows with aluminum?in that case you can flange the trim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the windows have wood wood. I wasn't going to wrap them in aluminum.

There is a plastic membrane that extends to and attaches to the sheathing between the head/side jams and the window trim. The windows are kind of "flashed" with this? It is under both the foam board and tyvek wrap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts