DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old bathtub and faucets (1931 house). Both hot and cold handles making loud squeaking/screeching noise when turned on and off. While there is no leaking at all, I've been here since 1994 and no work has been done on these faucets, so the innards at are least that old. I've taken all the outer hardware off; the stem is still attached. In this state, it's still noisy when turned.

I assume I can't just push some plumbers grease in there without removing the stem and hope that stops the noise. I assume I must remove the stem to look at the washer and O-ring. I know to shut off the water to the faucet, then relieve the pressure. There are two nuts (see pic below), with an "outer" nut and an "inner" nut. To remove the stem, do I unscrew the outer nut or the inner one?

Will changing the washer and possibly the O-ring likely stop the noise?

In addition to putting it on the threads, should I put plumbers grease on the washer? And on the O-ring? Should it be a silicone grease or just any plumbers grease?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shut off water...use faucet grease...its water proof....grease up all threads as far down as you can take apart....not the waskers....ben sr
Thanks for the reply, Ben, and I'll be sure to get and use faucet grease. But I still need to know which nut to unscrew to be able to pull the stem out. I THINK it's the larger one (the one that's further back) -- correct?

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Ben, and I'll be sure to get and use faucet grease. But I still need to know which nut to unscrew to be able to pull the stem out. I THINK it's the larger one (the one that's further back) -- correct?
they look to be in good shape I would take outer nut off 1 st see if stem will screw out...if not take other ....grease up....sorry for the delay ben sr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.