DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stripping the exterior of my house down to the wood, repairing the wood with bondo and then priming it with Sherwin Williams oil primer. The problem is I usually see many a few missed blemishes after I have primed it. I have been told that bondo shouldn't be used over primer. What should I use? I am looking to have this last as long as possible. Is something basic like Elmer's carpenter's interior exterior wood filler good? Or is there something better?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I would thin you could do it, but if not, use spackle for holes and caulk for cracks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So very very few DIYers fix blemishes after priming, eh? I have asked so many people about this, and most people don't even bother, or they just any product that is sitting around. I am surprised. My yard is so small that my paint job is in my face everyday. It would be too annoying to look at if I just left it as is.:(

·
Painting Company, NY
1,039 Posts
There is Bondo specifically for wood repairs, but you should sand the repair spot first removing any paint and/or primer for proper adherence of the Bondo. If you have minor repairs or nail holes it would be more efficient to use an exterior spackle, such as DryDex, DryDex works well for interior and exterior, drys fast and easy to sand. Whether you choose Bondo for wood or Drydex would depend on the repair, but you'll still have to prime over it after sanding. Sherwin Williams sells the Bondo for wood repair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts