DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm new to this forum; but not new to forums in general. I tried to search this; but came up empty. Sorry if I just missed it.

Anyway, I have a pretty large attached 3 car garage that was added to a 125 year old house. I've owned the house for about 23 years. When we bought it the garage walls and ceiling were drywalled and taped; but not painted. The garage roof has a very gentle slope and when leaves accumulate tends to leak (we've replaced the roof and monitor this now).

Two pieces (out of appox 20) of drywall (4x8) have come down. Luckily, not hitting cars. I would imagine weakened by prior moisture; but I'm not really sure if that was the cause because those particular sheets showed no sign of moisture.

So, I'd like to replace those two sheets. Here's the problem: When I examinbed the drywall it appeared to be 3/8 (24 oc). I'm new to this and everything I've read says 5/8 for ceilings to prevent sagging. I don't really want to rip out the other 18 sheets that have actually held up for at least 23 years.

So, do you think these sheets have come down as a result of moisture, or did they fall because 3/8 is not suitable for ceilings?

· Retired Moderator
25,780 Posts
3/8" thick does not have much meat for the fasteners--and over spanned?

If you want to keep the old stuff--add more screws--the gypsum is getting brittle and crumbling at the screws---

A better plan might be to overlay 5/8" ,using long screws.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike! I'll have to evaluate whether or not I'm up for recovering the whole thing with 5/8"; although I'm sure that's the best solution. I hadn't thought about the drywall just being old and crumbling. That could very well be the problem since I did not detect any moisture in that spot.

I did make one error in the facts. Happily, I'm actually on 16" centers which is probably why the sheets have even made it this long.

Nick, That's pretty cool looking; but I'm not sure my set up would lend itself to that. Plus when I'm done I'm going to try to de emphasize the ceiling b/c its got garage door openers and a couple of other things sticking out of it and although I want to move into a workshop set up as I renovate the garage, I am also a hobbyist photographer and will be ultimately painting it the ceiling black (I know horrible for a shop - but great to eliminate stray light bounce) for my other purpose as a studio.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.