DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See photos for reference. Under certain condition (e.g. door not fully closed shut, but still in closed/locked position - there's some leeway to nudge the door while closed), you can visibly see gaps around areas of the door frame where the door seal is. Otherwise you don't see the gaps visibly on the outside. Even when door is fully shut, I think there's still some slight (less visible) gap as can see some light through on the interior side of the door where the seal is during daytime when the sun shines near the door, and can feel some air through and hear outside noise through the gap area. The gaps are only in certain areas around the door and not around the whole weatherstripping.

Question is how do I fix the gaps? I don't think replacing the door seal weatherstripping would do it based on how the gaps are or am I wrong? A quick patch might be add additional weatherstripping where the gaps are to fill it in. Is there any other method to fix it?

The door to door frame might not be flushly aligned but from a usability and visual standpoint, the door looks normal and functions properly. So I'm not sure how to correct the gaps the official way.
Window Fixture Wood Building Shade

Door Fixture Wood Handle Home door

Building Rectangle Wood Fixture Window

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The door is no where close to making contact with the stops.
Are the hinge screws fully seated and tight?
Does the door rub on the frame or threshold?
With the door fully closed and seen from the inside, there should be an even gap of about 1/8" between the door and frame at the top and on the lock side. Do you have that?
Is the opening still square? Measure the opening where the door should sit from corner to opposing corner. Repeat on the other set of corners. If the opening is square, the measurements will be the same.
Unusual but I saw this; If the door is wood, is it "racked"? You can check by putting push-pins in opposite corners and running a thread tautly between them. Use a ruler to set the height of the thread the same on both ends. The distance to the door should be the same for the length of the thread. Check the other set of corners.
Weather stripping should not be applied until the door closes properly.

·
Naildriver
14,840 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
The strike plate probably needs to be moved towards the weather
stripping about the same distance as the amount of "leeway" you have.
This would require chiseling a bit of material out of the jamb, filling the existing screw
holes with epoxy, then resetting the strike plate farther in and with new screw holes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts