DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had tips for finishing this top stair. (Pic attached) we had plans to pull all of the stair carpet when redoing the floors (at the top of the stairs), but once removed we noticed this thick red glue that would be a mess to get rid of. I'm not sure if I should get a tack strip and pull the carpet up and try to secure, (then possibly just paint the bare face of the step, or try to staple it down. We even have old carpet remnants of the same we've thought about somehow attaching to the bare step. We don't need it to be perfect, just so it doesn't just look awful when we are showing the house. I'd appreciate any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
In 2006 I finished ours like pictured. It's an aluminum cap with screw holes but being vinyl on concrete I glued it. I can't recall what adhesive I used but it must have been really good because it's been rock solid.

I guess the carpet layer didn't know how to solve the problem so he left it for someone else and that was me.

EDIT: OH, now I recall. I cut the pile off and glued the backing strip to the concrete and then glued the corner cap on top of the carpet backing.

Your stairs are easier to traverse vertical.:wink2:

Attachments

·
Hammered Thumb
3,501 Posts
Can't tell how much overhang the new floor has, but I would tack up a piece of remnant to the new riser. Keep in mind you have to fold the exposed edge like existing, and typical T50 1/4" staples won't do it (carpet tacks should).

Also, to fasten the existing lower tread hopefully there is a tack strip there then you can just stretch and tuck it in. It looks like maybe not, so again 1/4" staples or even carpet tacks won't hold it.

If you are showing to sell, keep in mind as one walks up a stair their eye level is looking right at the baseboard and where they filled in the side stringer and it will be noticed. So take extra care to do it right there so it doesn't continue looking like a hack job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts