DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me first start by saying I am not sure if this is plumbing, but there wasnt a bathroom section that I could see. So sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Let me also say I am a young home owner, and don't have too much experience with plumbing. I am an electrical guy.

My tub recently has developed a hole. I was taking a bath and all of the sudden I swore I heard water falling into my crawl space, and then noticed the water was draining wayyyyy to fast. noitced a hole by the drain.

I am not sure if this tub is porcelain, but I think that is the material. Seems to be metal under the finish.

Is there a way to fix this or do I need to buy a new bath tub.

· Registered
122 Posts
Let me first start by saying I am not sure if this is plumbing, but there wasnt a bathroom section that I could see. So sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Let me also say I am a young home owner, and don't have too much experience with plumbing. I am an electrical guy.

My tub recently has developed a hole. I was taking a bath and all of the sudden I swore I heard water falling into my crawl space, and then noticed the water was draining wayyyyy to fast. noitced a hole by the drain.

I am not sure if this tub is porcelain, but I think that is the material. Seems to be metal under the finish.

Is there a way to fix this or do I need to buy a new bath tub.
You ARE joking with us, right? Plumbing putty should do the trick.

· Banned
17,162 Posts
Would make a nice planter in your front or backyard. But yep that tub has to go. Now of course, you could probably get away with a Rebath, where they place the insert over it, and go from there. May be easier and cheaper than getting involved with a full bath gut & remodel.

· Roofmaster
3,732 Posts
You better be ready to repair the floor under this tub too. This thing has been leaking for a while. As another poster stated, its a good thing you didnt end up in the crawl space! Didnt you see the rust? Hard to believe.

· Registered
37,499 Posts
Anyone here ever used a company like Rebath? It's shocking what they charge for a paper thin liner.

· Registered
122 Posts
Anyone here ever used a company like Rebath? It's shocking what they charge for a paper thin liner.
We used a Canadian company to lay a 1/4" poly insert into our bathtub at our rental condo. Very nice job and it's been only 6 months since, so I dont have any long term experience yet. There are approved cleaners and some that are a definite NO-NO.
I'll try to find the name of the product. I think it was about $2400 for the tub only.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So here is the thing I do not understand.

There is no floor under this tub. It is being supported by a metal brace or bracket. I have a feeling this is not normal. how will this affect the repair job.

I saw the porcelin slighly cracked, but it is just one of those things I never made the connection with. I never knew what tubs were made out of, and in my head it was just the finish that was cracked, Like i said, young home owner and never really knew they could get a hole.

· Registered
54 Posts
We used a Canadian company to lay a 1/4" poly insert into our bathtub at our rental condo. Very nice job and it's been only 6 months since, so I dont have any long term experience yet. There are approved cleaners and some that are a definite NO-NO.
I'll try to find the name of the product. I think it was about $2400 for the tub only.
Is that Bathfitters?

$2,400 seems a lot for relining a tub and hiding the problem. A new porcelain on steel tub like the OP has is around $150 - leaves plenty over for a reputable contractor to replace the old tub and fix the floor (which is presumably in bad shape with the leak) plus tiling around the tub, which is what I have to do with a similar problem, unfortunately :(

Nice car in your username, by the way - is that the same that Roger Moore drove as the Saint in the 60's TV series?

· Roofmaster
3,732 Posts
So here is the thing I do not understand.

There is no floor under this tub. It is being supported by a metal brace or bracket. I have a feeling this is not normal. how will this affect the repair job.

I saw the porcelin slighly cracked, but it is just one of those things I never made the connection with. I never knew what tubs were made out of, and in my head it was just the finish that was cracked, Like i said, young home owner and never really knew they could get a hole.
How can you have a Tub that is not supported by the floor below???? Water weighs 65 lbs. a cubic foot, plus the tub, plus your weight. The tub is completely shot. The rot is right at the drain. If it were somewhere else, maybe you could redo it, but this thing has been leaking for a long time from the looks of it. But what the heck do you meant by the tub is not supported by the floor?????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.