DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
beginnerPainter
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me start by saying i am a beginner painter and while painting a house a mirror fell and chipped a chair rail pretty good about a quarter inch gouges about four feet apart. can i repair it with some type of wood filler or do i have to replace it all together? thank you in advanced.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Yes, you can usually fix it--if it is painted---using drywall compound will work and is easy to sand out.

Wood fillers---plastic wood--Durhams water putty or others work well also--but are harder to apply smoothly and sand.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
You will be able to make that look as good as new----I always have powdered 'easy sand 20' on hand when painting---sets in 20 minutes--sand easily enough and painst well.

·
beginnerPainter
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i have some 20 and 45 i carry on me as well, but this gouge is about 2 inch long and a half inch deep.

·
Registered
37,225 Posts
Way more then anyone was expecting.
Post a picture.
Your O/P said chipping,

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I still think you can 'fake' in the damaged moldings using the 20 minute mud---

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question about marks and transfer from the chairs. My wife wants me to put up a rail behind the kitchen table so that the chairs won't leave black marks on the wall or paint transfer on the chair backs. I noticed the rail we got that I thought was finished is just primed and does nothing to improve the situation. We had felt on the back of the chairs that usually went against the wall but that left marks as well. We don't have a problem with damage per say, just ugly marks from the chairs rubbing the wall. How do we stop the transfer, marking, rubbing marks?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
A typical dining room chair goes much higher at the back than typical rail heights. Chair rails are mostly for looks. You should look for some of those cloth things that slip over the back of the chair and pad the top few inches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts