DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm trying to get a couch into our condo and it will not fit through the front door. The only plausible way would be to get it through the sliding patio door.

Removing the sliding door was very simple but the fixed panel doesn't seem to want to move. It had two plastic brackets on the top and bottom corners and one metal bracket holding it to the wall. Assuming that those were there to keep the panel from moving I simply removed them and tried to slide the fixed panel. It didn't move at all!

There are no visible screws or latches or anything that would appear to keep it from moving. With some effort I was able to move the bottom of the panel but not enough to do anything. It seemed like it wasn't built to be removed that way. I also found caulking on the bottom so I'm thinking that this panel wasn't made to be separated from the frame. And I'd rather not get it out without being able to put it back in the frame. I've done some decent research on the topic but couldn't find anything specific to this door. Any suggestions or recommendations would be very helpful!

I hope to figure this out ASAP! I'm trying to get everything set up for my son's return from the hospital after undergoing surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. Want him to be nice a comfortable! Thanks again for any help!
Window Wood Tree Siding Door
Column Yellow Architecture Material property Window
Siding Room Wall House Shed
Blue Architecture Siding Daytime Tree

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm understanding you correctly there is no plate on either the top or the bottom of the frame. Many of the videos I watched had those but this frame does not. I may be wrong. Hope I am!
Window Wood Tree Siding Door
Siding Room Wall House Shed
Column Yellow Architecture Material property Window

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
They usually take quite a jerk to get them pulled out of the frame. And sometimes the installer ran a bead of silicone in the track before he slammed the fixed sash into it. If so, you won't get it to move. I do this for a living, so I will put a suction cup on each side of the glass like a handle, and that will usually help jerk the sash out of the frame.

That's a really odd door. Even if you get it to slide, it doesn't look like there is much room to lift the sash up and out of there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats exactly what I was thinking. When I did budge the bottom of the door, out away from the frame, I could see a line of silicone.

Well, I truly appreciate your help and response. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
If you pulled it out far enough to see the silicone, you might be able to run a knife in there and have someone cut it as you pull. But without the suction cups you can't really get a good hold on it. You could maybe visit a glass shop and ask to borrow/rent one.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Be careful with this. Many of these units, with a fixed panel, are not able to be removed.

I recently replaced two old sliders and both new ones have fixed panels, and I mean fixed. They cannot be removed from the frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.