DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I believe that is the way they were built.Those gable end returns are sheeted and shingled on top and are on plane with the trim on the front so that edge has not dropped. The other edge at your eave would sure not have dropped UP.

·
Licensed P.E./Home Insp
757 Posts
That's a Jerkinhead roof with eave returns. And those eave returns were not built that way. You have a rot problem, and somebody roofed over the problem instead of fixing it.

Also, the two center columns at the porch were replaced or reworked at some point. They should look like the outer columns.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
That's a Jerkinhead roof with eave returns. And those eave returns were not built that way. You have a rot problem, and somebody roofed over the problem instead of fixing it.

Also, the two center columns at the porch were replaced or reworked at some point. They should look like the outer columns.
This is cool to hear.I have been in the trades for 45 years and knew the returns were built that way but have never seen one before with that particular design.Just goes to show how things differ by region and why it's important for poster to let us know their location.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe that is the way they were built.
My wife said the same thing, but it just doesn't look aesthetically right. The other houses in the area with better upkeep don't slope. Also, they don't looked sloped in the earliest photo (attached) we have of the house (1937, the house was built in 1918 ). Seattle, WA

Attachments

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Going to be a whole lot of surgery to figure out what failed and fix that one.
All that old trim needs to be removed.
Siding in that area above it will need to go so the repair can be properly flashed up behind the wall.
And whatever they used to cover the roof has to go, just to get at the framing

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,667 Posts
I hope some of that slope is the camera lens distortion. But what are those steel chains for? Thirty pounds of continuous dead weight hanging there can't be helping.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
we used to call those returns "winglets" and add $50-$75 per winglet to the price of the bid. Slowest 3 shingles in the world.

As to the drop I have seen that before and in my experience its usually 80-100 years of gravity since not much holds them up on the outside. There ain't nothing cantilevered back in to the house supporting the outside.

And if it is the work of gravity a down spout could actually help whereas a chain is going to hurt.

·
Residential Designer
1,487 Posts
I have worked on many homes here in Orange County in the city of Orange Old Town district with this very same problem.

Nothing short of a new beam, usually PSL or LVL will take care of the long span between columns. The two posts in the center do not belong there. As a matter of fact no columns should be there to be true to the original intent.

The roof returns that are sloping also need to have all the trim and whatnot opened up a reworked to bring them back to level.

Andy.

·
11,730 Posts
Add a couple of 4x4's as pictured, at the two center supports. Remove the chains as they are sagging the cornice returns. They never installed a beam across the front, then designed the front bedroom above and 6' of porch ceiling, same as thousands of similar houses around here, on the west coast. Add a glulam when affordable that will set the returns level again --- original pic appears 1" sag in center, now grown to 3" sag... center sags causes the returns to rise at gutter end. Don't add craftsman brackets when you have pork chop ends, be mixing the styles, IMHO. Page 148; https://books.google.com/books?id=E5S9qrSNxx0C&pg=PA130&dq=ridge+board+to+ridge+beam&as_brr=3&cd=2#v=onepage&q=ridge%20board%20to%20ridge%20beam&f=false

Gary
PS. Shipyard chains, 50# each...lol, for real men.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.