DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My iron fabricator contractor brush painted my brand new wrought iron railing with acrylic paint instead of the paint he should have used. what do i do now?

He is willing to come back and paint on top of the acrylic paint using a rustoleum based paint.

The problem is he did not cover the porch railing (which was already painted) when he placed it into his pickup truck so it scratched off paint on the top railing and side of a post. He then pulled on that area, painted it over and now i have a rectangle patch-like area about 3" x 2" on the top of the railing. It looks really bad.

What is the correct way to fix this problem? I want a smooth look on top of the railing. He says the new coat of paint will do that. I am doubtful. I have pictures if you want to see.

Thanks

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,851 Posts
Brush painting is the wrong way.

If possible remove the railing, take back to shop, sandblast all old paint , rust, off, then either spray on a decent primer and topcoat, or powder-coat it.

If this fabricator don't have the facilities for this to be done correctly they are a scab and I would not allow them back.

Again brush painting metal is not the correct way to do it.

ED

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

This is a brand new railing so there is no rust. It sounds like you are saying we need to sandblast the whole railing. Correct?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,851 Posts
May not need to blast the entire railing.

Could just sand and feather the edges around the bad spot, and SPRAY paint it back in , this takes an experienced hand and eye to do right.

Brush painting it always leaves brush marks, and looks amateurish.

And most pros, use carpeting or blankets to keep their work from getting scratched during delivery, so is this fabricator a pro, or someone from nowhere??

ED

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How well will acrylic paint hold up vs. a Rustoleum based product? I live in Seattle where there is lots of rain. I am thinking we need to remove ALL the acrylic paint like you suggested in your earlier post. Any idea how much this would cost to do?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,851 Posts
For pricing you need someone in your area to give you an estimate, most people here don't know the prices there.

And as for the best paint for your area, the same answer.

Sorry to sound rude, but having only spent 1 month in Tacoma in 1989, I have little experience with the area.

Hopefully a pro painter from the pool here can get to your query soon.

ED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts