DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just moved into a townhouse, and found the dryer very poorly vented into a soffit bay - there was no termination on the duct, it was just as it looks. What's the proper way to fix this? I want to continue venting through the soffit, not come up through the roof. Thanks.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Where do you live? Insulation is not supposed to be shoved up against the roof deck like it is in the cell to the left of the one with the vent. The ventilated soffit does nothing if the insulation Blocks the airflow up under the deck. Baffles needed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, this isn't the roof of the house, this is a small overhang off of the ground floor. The insulation is in the ceiling of an office. Above that insulation there is another interior floor space. I was actually planning to put eps foam blocking in those bays to stop air infiltration.

·
registered
1,354 Posts
Just grab what joe showed an under the soffit vent. Your all set. Normally you wouldn't do a dryer under the soffit. But it will fly. Under soffit are usually a bath-fan vent. For dryers its roof or sidewall. But once again this will fly.

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Since we are on the subject of dryers, you should know that they are the number one cause of house fires. I would never use flexible corrugated pipe on a dryer, only smooth, galvanized steel or aluminum flue pipe. I remove the front panel from my dryer and shop vac it out about every 6 months. Usually Not because I am overly vigilant but because I have to get the screws, change, springs, bits etc out of the filter housing that I left in my pants.

:whistling2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.