DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I moved into a flipped house - most things have been done very well, and I would say 80-90 percent of the house was rehabbed. I'm just now getting started in the DIY weekend adventures, with the garage on my list of things to address.

Our garage already has drywall on it, yet it's not in good shape at all. It's been taped and caulked but I am a little concerned about the actual state of the drywall. It's yellow/orange in some places, and the center pole looks like it's deteriorating at the edges.

I'll attach some photos below, but wanted to get your guys opinions -

1) Is this drywall salvageable? Do I need to tear it away and put new drywall up? I have tried hanging a couple of hooks into the drywall and it does kind of just crumble without holding any weight. My long term plans are to put in cabinetry and not have a lot hanging on the walls if I can. If I did hang anything, it'd probably be screwed into the studs and heavy.

2) What is the difference between mud and texture? I am new to this - I'd prefer texture on the walls but if mud is easier I might go that route. Do I have to mud before I can texture? Or do I just go ahead and prime with Kilz and then texture away?

3) Check out this pole in the center (pictures below). I'm stumped on what to do with that. I've seen edges that I can buy and tape in but this pole is in such shambles I'm really open to any great ideas you guys have.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
JOATMON
17,227 Posts
That looks like your typical garage. Per code, it only needs tape and mud to make it fire proof (more or less)

Builders do only the minimum....your paper is brown because they were too cheap to paint it and time has just made it look like that. Otherwise, it's fine.

If it was me......

1. Get a drywall sanding pad...sand all the areas you see mud and knock down the high spots.

2. Get a couple gallons of primer and prime the walls. Use a medium nap roller.

3. Get a couple of gallons of semi-gloss exterior paint and paint the walls. If you want to be fancy, paint the bottom half one color, the upper half another.

Don't worry about any 'defects' in the drywall. It's a garage. Your next task is to buy cabinets and/shelves and cover said walls with those items.

Once you get the primer on the walls, the way you see the garage will totally change.

Now, if you want to feel insignificant....click on my garage build link.......

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Also drywall will not hold screws or nails. You have to hit a stud or use anchors. Texture is not a good idea for a garage, it catches and holds dirt. The post looks fine just whatever they coated it with is coming off.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If it was my Garage, i would: Sand everything down and put at least one more coat on all the joints/screws. Prime and put 2 coats of Semi gloss on everything.
Put metal corner beads on the center post and finish it off, but only if the post is structurally needed.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Prime and paint it's a garage. Unless you want to go all out then just ship lap siding or plywood over everything, then you can mount anything you want on the wall, anywhere you want, and not worry about hitting the studs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.