DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished fastening the decking on my new deck when I realized that I forgot to put the joist tape!!
What should I do? I can return all the tape (it's still unopened) and forget about it, or unscrew all the boards, apply tape, and re-fasten. I used decking screws, and the 20 some boards are 13ft long and run for the length of the deck. Joists are 12' apart.
I don't mind spending a day undoing all the boards [sort of], I just don't know if it's okay for the screws and holes.
If weather matters,, I live in Eastern PA.

·
retired framer
65,297 Posts
I just finished fastening the decking on my new deck when I realized that I forgot to put the joist tape!!
What should I do? I can return all the tape (it's still unopened) and forget about it, or unscrew all the boards, apply tape, and re-fasten. I used decking screws, and the 20 some boards are 13ft long and run for the length of the deck. Joists are 12' apart.
I don't mind spending a day undoing all the boards [sort of], I just don't know if it's okay for the screws and holes.
With oiut the tape you just don't expect the life of the deck to be anything like we had with the old treated lumber. New treated lumber with the new treatment just will not stand up well to the dirt and moisture that build up in the cracks and sits on the joists.

I would say it is worth the extra day or two. If you are worried about using the same screw holes, something like a wood match stick in each hole before the tape would solve any problem with them.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
What type of decking is it?

What type of screws and length?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Assuming all of the boards of the same length, which they normally are, I would swap them around instead of putting them back in the same place. That way the screws will be going into a new place instead of trying to go into the old holes. That will help insure that the screws stay tight in the long run.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,591 Posts
I hope that is a typo. :devil3:

I like the idea of swapping ends on the decking, to get new wood for the screws to grab.

ED

·
Naildriver
20,009 Posts
Swapping ends will cause the holes in the PT to be mismatched to the joists. You will have 32 holes rather than 16 for instance. Could be butt ugly. Use longer screws in the same holes in the same position to prevent it.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I would leave it. By the time there is substantial water damage the decking might be ready for replacement, you might change your mind and want a different structure, or you might not live there any more. It doesn’t have to last forever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lots of good advice. I ended up removing all the boards and applying the tape. I might use a longer screw, but I also put a thick toothpick in every hole!
If I hadn't applied the tape I would have always have this bug in my mind. That's just how I am :|
There will be some sanding and smoothing out those holes once the bards are back up, and that's okay.
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.