DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan is to try to save the structure and support posts of my deck, but replace the decking and railings. This is a raised 12 x 20 deck in fair condition, about 14 years old. Decking needs replacement, and guardrails are not built properly.

BUT: The 4x6 posts are NOTCHED so the rim joists sit on a notched post.

A couple of the posts show cracks where they miscut the notch. Worse, they used undersized lag bolts which are getting pulled at an angle from the load, and one post is bowing since the rim joist is not tight against the post.

My plan is this:

If I tear off the decking and railing, and put temporary supports under the structure, I could then add an additional 2x12 rim joist and cut the top of the 4x6 flush get rid of the notch on top of the 4x6 posts (see attached jpg).

Is this logical or not?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
As long as the support part of the post is still structural, it should be fine.
Ron

·
Residential Designer
1,486 Posts
Are the posts that you want to cut doubling as the newels?

How do you intend to connect the new newel posts?

I don't like the plan right now but there is not enough info to be sure.

Andy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the posts that you want to cut doubling as the newels?

How do you intend to connect the new newel posts?

I don't like the plan right now but there is not enough info to be sure.

Andy.
If I were to try to save the structure, the posts would be 4x4 carriage-bolted to rim joists.

At this point I'm thinking that the whole structure has to go....I'm going to call around for some quotes. The more I look at the structure, the more things I see wrong. The stairs, for example, are really done poorly. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts