DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a knockdown ceiling sprayed last week. The crew that did it insisted I didn't need to prime, just go over it with a white ceiling paint afterwards.

Well, it generally looks good, but in the right light, you can see where some of the paint seemed to absorb/stick (?) better, and other places it didn't. It doesn't look bad, but to the right eye in the right light, the paint doesn't look even.

Also, when I look at the actual texture from the right angle and light, the edges look black, almost like thin shadows. Kind of looks cool and dirty at the same time.

Since it's been painted already, can I just go over it with a primer and then repaint? Does it sound like that should resolve these issues?

Also, there are spots along the edges that just are not textured very good. I was planning to sand them down slightly, retexture, and then prime/paint. Is that a better idea than just texturing over the already poor texture that's there? I know the match won't be perfect, but which one gives me the best chance (sanding vs. just more texture)? It's a big ceiling and just a few isolated spots that need touchup, so I don't want to skim the whole thing.

Thanks!

·
retired painter
10,701 Posts
It sounds like the ceiling needs another coat of paint.
Hard to comment on the texture issue without seeing it.

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
With a textured ceiling that is getting sprayed, I think it's always best to backroll. That way the paint gets pushed into all the nooks and crannies. I would roll a 2nd coat on. That first coat likely soaked up into the texture a bit creating uneven finished areas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts