DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to make this trap fit with some kind of adapter, or do I need to cut and splice this wall tube with a Fernco or solder onto it?

Bandsaws Plumbing Household hardware Gas Wood

Tableware Hand tool Dishware Wood Tool

·
Naildriver
16,978 Posts
IF you are talking front to back, the swing arm should pull slightly from the wall. If you are talking height from the trap to the swing arm you may have to trim a little off the tailpiece and refit the trap to it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is that the trap doesn't reach the pipe coming out of the wall where it turns down, shown in the second photo. The pipe out of the wall is fixed with no play, so I'm shy about 1/2" - the trap coming can't reach far enough back toward the wall.

·
Naildriver
16,978 Posts
There's a nut holding that swing arm to your drain adapter. It may take some exploratory surgery, but I would gain access to the area behind the cabinet and loosen it to where it comes out, replace it with a PVC arm and re do it.

Reactions: Domo

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I posted in a separate thread about possibly replacing that arm going into the wall. It looks like it's soldered into the tee behind the cabinet.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Stairs

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cut back some more of the drywall. Looks like it's definitely not threaded.

Is it possible to leave this in place and use an adapter of some kind to come off of it and out half an inch into the direction of the front of the cabinet, even if it means going over to the side and down and around or something?

If not, I wonder if I'll be forced to use a hacksaw to cut back the chrome pipe out of the wall and use a Fernco meant for tubular drain?

Brown Wood Art Stairs Tints and shades

Automotive tire Audio equipment Electronic instrument Font Electronic device

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do they make any 1 1/4" tubular elbows I could use to do something like this? Trying to avoid using a flexible/accordion tailpiece extension until I have time to cut and Fernco this...

Electrical wiring Gas Bandsaws Machine Cable

·
Naildriver
16,978 Posts

·
Wanna Be
552 Posts
I saw a waste arm joint like that in saint louis. Some kind of lead or steel putty packing around the thin metal joint to cast iron. the thin plated metal is probably deteriorated in that cast iron so if you tug 1/2" out of the cast it will expose the rot and start leaking. Maybe. That arm will move if you wrench on it but will probably crumble.
Look for a double offset for the trap extension. Or pull the arm out and get a longer pvc replacement and cut to fit.
Anyone have luck heating pvc with hairdryer and bending a double offset?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One is chrome plated brass and is longer and 3x the price, and is 1 1/4", the other is plastic and is shorter, and is 1 1/2" with 1 1/4" reducing washers included in the package. The pipe out of the wall is chrome plated brass, but I would like to use a plastic tailpiece and trap.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

That looks good, thank you.

I did email Oatey customer support, they quickly got back to me saying the plastic 1 1/2" 46WK repair coupling should work fine on 1 1/4" tubular drains on both sides, and that the direction of flow doesn't matter, that it has two reducing washers I would use. But the 669 would of course also work with 1 1/4" without any reduction.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts