DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of running new electrical wire for my new sub panel. I have all of the circuits ran except one, and it is giving me fits. I am trying to fish the wire through a wall that has a fire block and a diagonal 2x4. I can't get my 54" drill bit to bite into the diagonal and it doesn't help that I'm exhausted from a whole day's work...

Any tips for how to deal with the diagonal 2x4? If it takes too much longer, I might just tear down all of the plaster :laughing:

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,823 Posts
Cut a hole around the fire stop (I use a 5" hole saw) and drill a hole thru the blocking. Patch the plaster or drywall.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I literally spent hours trying to fish my last wire through the stupid fire block and diagonal 2x4, all because I didn't want to damage the plaster :no:

That wasn't a good idea. In the end, I took your advice and cut a hole in the plaster to help fish the wire through the 2x4s and it took me about 15 minutes. Next time I fish wire, I'm going to cut holes as soon as I encounter any resistance in the walls and just patch the holes later.

The good news is that my new sub panel is installed and everything works fine now.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The diagonal braces are a real pain. You might try opening up a small hole above or below where you want to drill through and drilling the hole from there. Do you have any other routes that you could take and avoid that stud bay? Sometimes it's easier to find another way if it is too much hassle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts