DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ripping out an old stand up shower and creating a new one. Are there any tips anyone can give me on making the shower pans and everything else? I know about the membrane liner and the paint on membrane wonder board and all that jazz I just need a few tips on the pans.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
I know about the membrane liner and the paint on membrane wonder board and all that jazz...
There is a lot to know.:)

What type of shower do you think you are going to build?
Concrete receptor, kit floor receptor, plastic floor receptor, molded receptor, what?:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey Bud,

well with all the research I've done I haven't even read about receptors... what exactly are you talking about and what are the differences so I can answer you and you can help me PLEASE!!! thanks

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
A shower floor is called receptor. There are many styles to choose from. Some you build yourself, some are off the shelf.:)

I just did that to play with you a little since you already said you knew about "all the jaz".:)

Which will you choose?:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh okay ... haha... well yeah it will be concrete ... will pour it myself ... thats what I need the tips on. thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that there will be 2 pans ... I need some first timer tips on this project since my contractor told the customer I could do it ... I have helped people do it in the past but never done it myself ... so any tips would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
105 Posts
you might want to read on Schluter Shower Systems.
I just did my first shower and the Schluter sytem was pretty easy to install.
IMO far easier and more forgiving than a mud pan with liner (although NOT less expensive).
Cost me about $1000 for the pan, membrane, curb, thinset and moving my drain.

not to detract from this forum which is fantastic and a daily visit for me, but you might want to check out JohnBridge forums it's dedicated to tiling and such and there is a wealth of knowledge in the liberry and in the many forum posts.

read lots and ask lots. good luck to ya.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts