DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I replaced the whole gas valve assembly on my gas fireplace insert.
The gas valve is a SIT Nova 820 model 0820634, also replaced the thermopile and the thermocouple this thermocouple has an interrupter to control something I don't know, I suspect is a damper in the chimney outlet I am not sure.
I tested for leaks, I started the pilot holds OK but the gas valve does not open when In "ON" position
I by-passed the switch at the valve to eliminate that possibility.
Does anybody knows what it could be? Help!
Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
That in line thermostat control usually goes to a small button limit. Either the line to it is broken, the electrical connections to it are not good enough, the limit is broken or it needs to be re-set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you How! I jumped (bypassed) the thermostat terminals at the gas valve still will not open. The thermocouple has an interrupter attached to it do you know what is the function of it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you How! I jumped (bypassed) the thermostat terminals at the gas valve still will not open. The thermocouple has an interrupter attached to it do you know what is the function of it?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
MY Bad
I wrote thermostat but meant to write thermocouple.
That inline thermocouple control with the two wires is wired through a small button limit.
Bypassing this creates a safety problem and should only be done for diagnostic's. I see no solution beyond following those wires to that small button limit for what ever is breaking or causing too much resistance to the themocouple DCMV output.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the problem, it was me! I made the wrong electrical connection at the gas valve, I crossed the wires between the thermopile and the thermostat.
I corrected it and it works like a charm.
Thank you everybody for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts