DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old brick fireplace (wood burning). I would like to have a glass fire pit look in my fireplace. I have a NG line on the back side of the fireplace (in garage to the water heater) so I could drill a hole through the brick and run a gas line through there. Would the natural ventilation that is used for the wood be sufficient for a natural gas setup? How effiecent would it be? I know that a wood burning fireplace is only 10-15% effiecent.

Also what parts would I need? I know that I would need a burner, on/off valve, and gas pipe. Is there a flashback valve for NG?

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Most localities do not like homeowners runnig or changing gas lines, you should have a pro do that. That said, if your fireplace was inefficient with wood, it will also be inefficient with gas. Doors help keep room air from being sucked into the fire, but the best thing is to have an outside air source. Fire places look nice, and you do get some radient heat, but are not good heating sources.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.