DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The firebrick (refractory brick) in my old fireplace was badly crumbling away so I decided to replace it. I bought a bunch of new refractory brick from a local mason and also some Heat Stop mortar I plan to use. After pulling down the old brick, I ran into an issue.

2 of the 3 walls (left side and back of fireplace) fit the new bricks in the standard, correct orientation with the short edge facing the fire. The right side is too narrow to fit the brick in this same orientation (see picture). Notice in the pictures that the brick on the right side does not lay flush to the vertical bricks of the fireplace. The left side looks nice and flush.

How should I manage this? Should I cut the brick to fit? I worry about the right side for the fireplace not being protected from the high heat of wood burning fires.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,922 Posts
I would cut the back off as necessary, leaving at least a 1/2" airspace between the new refractory brick and the old. Just make sure you have at least 2.25" depth remaining, more is better. The vast majority of wood burning FP's out there have the brick on edge, so it's not an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
2.25" is all the clearance I have, in total (see image with a tape measure). Barely enough space for ONE brick on edge. Not enough for any airspace. Is this OK?

Attachments

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,922 Posts
It's not the end of the world, I just prefer air space, especially on the back where the most heat tends to be targeted.

Could you change the sides slightly by keeping the front at the same spot and narrowing the firebox a little in back, giving you a little clearance on the tight side? Or does the damper not allow that?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts