DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

The outdoor fire-place is made of real fire-bricks [and redone where there were issues before] and I am looking for a quality fire-place grate and ideas on what type of cover.

The dimensions are as follows and this is before the Austin Stone is added to the front:

Frt Width: 43 3/4"
Back Width: 36"
Front Height: 32 1/4"
Depth: 27"

No hearth [floor is all travertine pavers] and a cedar mantle I am making w dimensions of 72" long, 6" tall and 12" depth. The dimensions of the entire fire place is 9ft W and 10' 10" heigth to the ceiling of cedar T&G.

Plan on starting fires w natural gas, then turn off gas once oak wood is lit.

Looking for a place where I can buy a quality grate and what would be the proper dimensions of the grate allowing for maximum wood burn but w proper distance and ventillation. Like grate to be 3/4" thick min.

Finally, looking at what recommendations you have for screen covers and if there are kits for this? No glass since this is outside and w kids, it would need to be replaced soon.

Thank you and once I get the mantle made, I'll post a pic.

Merry Christmas to all,
tstex

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,776 Posts
Ayuh,.... For what yer lookin' for, I'd suggest ya find a local Weldin' Shop, or somebody like Myself, who's got a yard fulla steel, 'n several welders, even though I ain't a Pro Welder, I do Alota weldin' projects,...

That way, the sky's the limit, 'n the design can be whatever yer mind's eye sees,...
For the grates, 'n front shield, 'n whatever else ya like,...

I donno how that's gonna work out, lightin' yer fires on gas, then wood,...
I My experience, gas burners, 'n wood fires don't get along so well,...
The gas burner will turn into scrap iron in no time,...

So long as ya got good draft, a tiny bit of paper, 'n a mapp gas plumber's torch will get 'bout anything burnin', Very quickly,...

I buy those mapp gas trigger light torches,...
got a few of 'em, in mostly the right places,... a few steps from any of the fireplaces/ wood stoves/ BBQs,...
'round here, that torch is known as my Boy Scout Match,... ;)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bondo,

Thanks for your reply.

At my ranch, the only tools I have not bought over the last 20 + yrs was a torch & welder. But I do have a lot of friends that have them.

Many of the grates I looked at have a lot of bends and angles in them, plus I am looking for stainless steel. Also, nothing less than 3/4" thick, preferably 1". Does this still meet or comply w what you would have in your yard or would you have to special order material?

You bring up a good point in the gas pipe w orifices might get corroded. The grate will be 4" bottom ht, and has pipe installed at 1 3/4 or 2" max, so it will have 2" clearance at min. I wonder if there is a much thicker gas pipe & s-steel made I could use? Pls let me know your thoughts?

Since this is an o/door fireplace, glass doors do not make sense, so I was looking at a Blk screen mesh-type that slides. Let me know what you think there? Should be starting Austin Stone this wk along w Cedar T&G ceiling. W 6 LED lights, 4 ceiling speakers & 2 fans, I'll need a couple new jigsaw blades for sure, so I have some time on the FP items. Just want to get them planned.

Thx again & Merry Christmas to all,
Tstex

·
9,776 Posts
Bondo,

Thanks for your reply.

At my ranch, the only tools I have not bought over the last 20 + yrs was a torch & welder. But I do have a lot of friends that have them.

Many of the grates I looked at have a lot of bends and angles in them, plus I am looking for stainless steel. Also, nothing less than 3/4" thick, preferably 1". Does this still meet or comply w what you would have in your yard or would you have to special order material?

You bring up a good point in the gas pipe w orifices might get corroded. The grate will be 4" bottom ht, and has pipe installed at 1 3/4 or 2" max, so it will have 2" clearance at min. I wonder if there is a much thicker gas pipe & s-steel made I could use? Pls let me know your thoughts?

Since this is an o/door fireplace, glass doors do not make sense, so I was looking at a Blk screen mesh-type that slides. Let me know what you think there? Should be starting Austin Stone this wk along w Cedar T&G ceiling. W 6 LED lights, 4 ceiling speakers & 2 fans, I'll need a couple new jigsaw blades for sure, so I have some time on the FP items. Just want to get them planned.

Thx again & Merry Christmas to all,
Tstex
Ayuh,.... I'm a Dumpster Diver, 'n rarely to never Buy materials,....

That said, 1" ssteel is a tough 1, 'n probably unnecessary,...
1" steel will take on a rust patina, but will take Decades to rust out,....
I'd go with plain ole steel myself,....
A few "Things" that come to mind for raw material resources include rebar, old sway-bars off a car or truck, tie-rods off a 3/4t truck or larger,...
There's many round "Things" that can be reused for what ya want, many already have some of the "Bends" ya need, or want,...

For makin' all the necessary bends, I turn my 37 ton wood splitter into a press-brake,....
It'll easily bend 2" steel,...

My own last woodstove rebuild included makin' a new fire grate, outa old railroad spikes, welded together to fit the ole potbelly stove,...
I just made it in 2 pieces, so it could still be shaken to clear the ash through it,...

My point with the gas burner is, the ash pile of the wood fire is pretty much the Hottest part of the fire, 'n the gas burner will not only fill up with fine ash, it's become deformed from the heat involved,...
I'd skip the gas burner, 'n get a Boy Scout Match,....

As for yer fire screen, I'm also thinkin' you can build yer own,....
Just make parts of it removable, or open-able, insteada a chain link slidin' screen,...

Pictures of what yer doin' might help get the thoughts flowin', as I'm just shootin' in the dark at this point,....

Main thing is,... Use yer noggin', be creative,....
It ain't gotta look like what can be bought in a store,...
It's just gotta work the way You want it too,... :wink:

If ya insist on ssteel, use a high nickle content rod to weld it up,....
Plain ole steel, I run 7018 rods in my stick welder,....

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bondo,

That's great information, thank you!

I agree on the pipe burner. What if I got a pipe w 1" OD and center of 1/2 ID, then drill 15-20 1/16" hole in it for orifices? I get your take on the torch, but the girls like fires & torching isn't up their alley. I could make 3-4 of these and when it craters, replace it. A 1/2" pipe should last a bit, don't you think?

I am going to get creative here and will post some pics soon.

Again, thank you very much.

Regards,
Tstex

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I'm with Bondo on the gas starter and most of his points.Might look into expanded metal with a frame that slides for the screen.I would have everything made at a welding /fab shop to your specs.I'm sure they would have some good ideas.Especially after seeing the pit that we can't see.

·
9,776 Posts
Bondo,

That's great information, thank you!

I agree on the pipe burner. What if I got a pipe w 1" OD and center of 1/2 ID, then drill 15-20 1/16" hole in it for orifices? I get your take on the torch, but the girls like fires & torching isn't up their alley. I could make 3-4 of these and when it craters, replace it. A 1/2" pipe should last a bit, don't you think?

I am going to get creative here and will post some pics soon.

Again, thank you very much.

Regards,
Tstex
Ayuh,.... I tried buildin' gas tube burners for 1 of our paver screeds, 4 screed sections, 4 tube burners,...

I "Thought" I had it down, after many hours of searchin' for the concepts, 'n answers for buildin' propane burners,...

After weldin' up the pieces( basically a "T" burner, with the gas fed into the tube from the center), 'n the holes(100s of 'em, 'n many, Many broken tiny expensive bits) drilled,...
I installed 'em, 'n lit it off,... it sucked,...
The flame would wander from end to end, never fully lightin', 'n goin' out in the slightest draft,....
I ended up scrappin' the whole thing, 'n goin' to hi-pressure type gas burners,...

Buildin' a fire is a basic human instinct,...
Teach yer ladies to build a fire,...
I'm tellin' ya, with a few scraps of paper, 'n a Boy Scout Match,.....
Anybody can build a Blaze, in no time,...:yes:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Ayuh,.... I tried buildin' gas tube burners for 1 of our paver screeds, 4 screed sections, 4 tube burners,...

I "Thought" I had it down, after many hours of searchin' for the concepts, 'n answers for buildin' propane burners,...

After weldin' up the pieces( basically a "T" burner, with the gas fed into the tube from the center), 'n the holes(100s of 'em, 'n many, Many broken tiny expensive bits) drilled,...
I installed 'em, 'n lit it off,... it sucked,...
The flame would wander from end to end, never fully lightin', 'n goin' out in the slightest draft,....
I ended up scrappin' the whole thing, 'n goin' to hi-pressure type gas burners,...

Buildin' a fire is a basic human instinct,...
Teach yer ladies to build a fire,...
I'm tellin' ya, with a few scraps of paper, 'n a Boy Scout Match,.....
Anybody can build a Blaze, in no time,...:yes:
Used to work for Blaw Knox building paver screeds every day.I know a little.

·
9,776 Posts
Used to work for Blaw Knox building paver screeds every day.I know a little.
Ayuh,.... I started 22 years ago, operatin' a worn out antique PF-65,...
8' screed, with a 2' strike-off on the right, 'n bolt on sections for the left,...
oil fired,...

Then another PF-65, with a Fortress- Allot screed,... Hyd. 8' to 14',..
was oil fired, I converted to hi-pressure propane,....

Then a PF-115, draggin' another bigger but still 8' to 14' Fortress- Allot,...
it also was oil fired, 'n I converted to propane,...
This machine is now our stone installation machine,....

Now our main machine is a Mauldin 1750C with the super 16 screed,...
Propane fired,.. too old for the newer electrically heated,...
(just had a brainfart vision on that, might Bondize an electric heater:wink: )

Our backup, small spot machine is an antique '86 Barber- Greene from the UK,... 6' to 12', rubber tired,...
propane fired, the 1 I made the burners for,...
Seein's ya can't buy parts for it, I've pretty much Bondoized the entire machine,... :whistling2: :thumbup: :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts