DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching YouTube "Installing a paver base for a metal fire pit" and doing that exactly (5'x5' square) except for using 6"x9" paver stones. I've found a local business that sells bulk stone and sand. I believe they have what I need, but the sizes offered of the gravel isn't the 3/4" recommended. I was looking at "57 Limestone" that comes in a bulk size of 1/2"-1".

Is 57 Limestone fine for filling/compacting and drainage? It appeared to be fine from what I saw. Is there any reason that mix of size would be an issue? I planned on 4" of stone tamped along with 1 inch of concrete sand, and polymeric sand to fill the joints.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

Their site recommended "411 Limestone (aka 46D)" for patio paver base and so did an associate. I was thrown off by the description of " "1” stone down to fines/dust".

Is 411 Limestone as described fine for drainage, or would that be an issue? Which is the better choice, the 57 in a large size with no fines, or the 411?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Gravel with no fines drains better, but doesn't compact as well, so it depends on whether drainage or being able to compact it so it's stable is more important.

For my patio, I just used about an inch of sand on top of the dirt to make it easier to level it out.

I'm no expert (obviously), but it seems that if you're going to fill the joints with polymeric sand, drainage shouldn't be much of a issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.