DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. i need help.a proffesional is too much money. I moved into a new house. the wiring is is out of control. this is what happens. i plug something into a outlet. it has no power until i wiggle it then it powers up if i postion it right. the other problem is when i plug something in the prongs get hot sometimes trip the breaker. this needs fixed asap. how do i test this to see what's wrong with it and how do i go about fixing it? don't say anything about calling an electrition. i am well aware of the risks so save it.

·
Super Moderator
8,867 Posts
hello. i need help.a proffesional is too much money. I moved into a new house. the wiring is is out of control. this is what happens. i plug something into a outlet. it has no power until i wiggle it then it powers up if i postion it right. the other problem is when i plug something in the prongs get hot sometimes trip the breaker. this needs fixed asap. how do i test this to see what's wrong with it and how do i go about fixing it? don't say anything about calling an electrition. i am well aware of the risks so save it.
Turn the breaker off, pull the receptacle and you will find a loose connection. Replace the receptacle and you should fix the problem

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Just replace the outlet with a new one.
The old one is worn out and not making good contact,
with the plugs when you insert them.
Either that or loose connection on back of outlet
If it's backstabbed ? GET RID OF IT, use the screws instead.
None of these things are hard or expensive.
but you do need to pay close attention to safety.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,252 Posts
This is a DIY forum, and depending on your confidence in your abilities, changing an outlet is quite easy.

It sounds like this outlet has been worn out.

It's just a few screws, and pull it out. SHUT OFF the breaker first, do not use any backstabbing ever, use the side screws, and make sure that you take notes, or pictures to get the right wire on the right screw.

And if it is a backstab, there is a tiny release hole by the wire that you press in to release the wire, do not jerk on it, you will cause other problems.

ED

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
Stop using (or trying to use) that receptacle. An intermittent connection is a loose connection and will heat up possibly starting a fire.

Step 1 -- Tighten up the connections including moving any backstabbed wires to the screw terminals. (see above for how)

Step 2 (if step 1 is not sufficient) Replace the receptacle.

To save time, skip step 1 and proceed directly to step 2.

When making your own connections, do not use the holes in back unless a screw somewhere actually holds the wires in the holes.

If two wires want to go under one screw, cut a short length (pigtail) of additional wire of the same category (as in white or colored with green/bare being a third category) and connect that to the screw. Wire nut together the 3 loose ends. Exception: two wires of the same size can go under one screw provided they don't touch each other and they won't slip sideways out from under just prior to tightening the screw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts