DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Finishing basement aka "man cave" - thinking about using pine t&g instead of drywall... not sure if its too much of a fire hazard or not

294 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Akcabin
inspector already said as long as its over 1/2 inch it will be fine to use but would you all be comfortable with it? 1000sf basement where the two extra bedrooms and family room would be covered in pine t&g instead of drywall (bathroom will have drywall). 100% legal, all permitted, inspected and up to code. theoretically there should be no fire hazard but still, the thought of having all that pine down there should something ever go wrong, is something that has me thinking.

OTOH, if things like these were so much of a fire hazard, there probably wouldnt be people building log cabins.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
14,675 Posts
The drywall is also your air barrier. If using batt insulation on walls a layer of plastic will not prevent air infiltration and can result in moisture issues. The T&G pine is NOT an air barrier.

Bud

· Registered
2,988 Posts
There is all kinds of things in rooms that a fire can burn in so I don't think your odds of burning up will increase by putting up pine. As long as your up to code with slowing it down as to the spreading I'm sure your fine.

Remember, smoke is usually what kills.

· Hammered Thumb
4,480 Posts
inspector already said as long as its over 1/2 inch it will be fine
theoretically there should be no fire hazard
You can put rice paper on your walls if you want. As long as you have the proper backer (framing or substrate) all is good. A single family home does not have stringent fire requirements of apartments and other types of multi-family dwellings.

What is important is the Flame Spread and Smoke Developed index for each interior finish material (IRC R302.9). Which applies to carpet or wallpaper too, and it doesn't even cross a homeowner's mind when making a trip to Home Depot for anything.

And for your hardwood paneling, IRC R702.5 says if it is <1/4" nominal thick you need minimum 3/8" drywall backer, otherwise no other restrictions stated.

· Naildriver
23,360 Posts
I've done several basements with T&G with no problems. I do them only if there is Tyvek or other WRB is on the outside. That helps to keep air infiltration down from outside. Where we are, there is the liking of "cabin" style remodels with so many people moving in and requesting it.

Property Window Wood Interior design Flooring

· Registered
I am not a pro
830 Posts
My basement, exterior walls = drywall. Interior = T&G knotty pine.
Basement bath...all drywall.
We have a smoke detector in the utility room(furnace/H2O heater), one at the top of the stairs.
Been there since 2000 or so.
We like it...Don.

· Registered
136 Posts
Well I think that will look great. It's as firesafe as anything. If this is what you want, do it. I can't think of why it would be any different than the wood in any basement. Framing n such. It's not stacked so not a large source of pine besides indirectly. What else you got planned ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts