DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The end I thought would never come has arrived :thumbsup:. The drywall is all finished. My assessment is if you were shooting for a level 4 finish and were judging on a 1 to 10 scale, I put mine at about 8 to 8.25. I can see seams on the ceiling (smooth finish) if I remove the curtian on the basement window and stand at the opposite end of the room. But if the lighting is from the overhead lights only, I can't see them. I only have the ceiling painted so far, so the jury is still out I guess. However, I don't think the walls would show as much as the ceiling since you can't get the same lighting on them as I did on the ceiling.
I wanted to thank all the folks here for their help.
I still have quite a bit more work to do before this project would be considered done. Doors, trim, tile in the bath etc., but it's coming along.

Reactions: oh'mike

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Looks good----post more when you get to trimming it.---Mike---

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks good. That's a lot of drywall area and corners galore.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First time on this scale. I have done less challenging drywall jobs for myself over the years. I had a house that was built in 1954 and someone over the years converted a bedroom that was next to the kitchen into a dining room. When they did, they removed a load bearing wall. It didn't occur to me for a couple years. I found it when I removed the paneling they used to cover up all the crap. There was originally a closet against that load bearing wall as well. When they tore everything out, they left very large holes in the sheet rock walls ( I called it sheet rock because it was 12 inch high strips made of concrete and plastered over. Metal mesh at the corners and wall seams at the ceiling) So I wrapped the room in 3/8ths drywall. Before that I put a beam across the opening where the load bearing wall was. My home office was above that room. I never noticed how soft the floor was in my office until I put that beam up. Later that day I went upstairs and when I walked into my office I stopped in my tracks. The floor felt so much more solid it was noticeable.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts