DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you in advance,

I recently bought my first house and the wife is wanting to start projects... THANKS PINTEREST! Our first project is to finish the basement. Our basement has this massive PVC sewage line in the middle of the wall wrapping around the whole basement that sticks out a good 6inches. (I'll post a picture later). I'm trying to think of a way to cover the pipe to make the basement look finished. I thought of building a wall out to cover the pipe, but I also want to be able to access the pipe if need be. We also have a gas meter on one wall so I would need to come up with an access point for this. My wife also saw an idea on pinterest where someone built a frame, put paneling over the frame and hung the frames from the ceiling. Do either of these sound do-able?

I'm not extremely handy and like I said I just bought the house so don't have a bank full of money. Any ideas would be a good idea.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
When talking about finishing a basement, I always think it's best to start the conversation with water. Are you getting any water in the basement? Have you done a moisture test on the slab?

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
There has to be at least 1000 post on finishing basements on this and any DIY site.
Did you try the search function before posting?
Have to agree 110% with Stick/shift on this one.

·
Usually Confused
7,943 Posts
If for no other reason than curiosity, I like to see the pic of the sewer line that runs all the way around the basement while providing the necessary slope, as well as the indoor gas meter.

·
Banned
30,023 Posts
If for no other reason than curiosity, I like to see the pic of the sewer line that runs all the way around the basement while providing the necessary slope, as well as the indoor gas meter.
I want to see this well. Kind of sounds like a racetrack approach.

I recently bought my first house and the wife is wanting to start projects... THANKS PINTEREST!
This is funny and definitely worth a re-quote. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are pictures of the pipe I am talking about.

My current idea is to build a shelving unit with a height just below the pipe and a width about an inch or two past the pipe. The build "studs" that would attach to the ceiling joist and rest on the shelves. I could then hang the drywall off that.

Good Idea or Bad idea??? once again thanks Wife's pinterest.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's on two walls. ( The main two that I would be putting a wall up on)

It measures to about 5 inch off the wall.

I was told it could be a few things from sewage to just outdoor run off water pipe.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
It may be harder to build light weight frames that will stay flat. Probably will need expensive trim quality lumber, eg 1x, but they will not stay in shape and probably will collect mold. Same with panelling.
Easiest would be 2x3 metal studs and 1/2" paperless drywall. You must stay some inches away from the pvc so there is no chance of future screws into the plastic pipe. You can glue 2" xps insulation directly on the foundation, skip the pipe, and seal all joints with can foam. Make access for clean outs on the plumbing, shut off valves, etc, and take photos for any future renovations.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make access for clean outs on the plumbing, shut off valves, etc
How do you suggest I make the accesses?

I think that's where the shelving unit was the idea. I could make the shelving units about 4' long. and if I ever needed to access the pipe I could slide which ever unit out.

Taking any suggestions on how to do this.

·
retired framer
51,047 Posts
Normally you would build a 2x4 wall 1 inch away from the foundation.
In this case you would build it 1 1/2 inches away with a short wall above and below the pipe so drywall would span the gap where the pipe is.
Yes hanging a wall and attaching it to the wall would be tricky but that is what is done.
You would only need access if there is a clean out to access.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Normally you would build a 2x4 wall 1 inch away from the foundation.
In this case you would build it 1 1/2 inches away with a short wall above and below the pipe so drywall would span the gap where the pipe is.
Yes hanging a wall and attaching it to the wall would be tricky but that is what is done.
You would only need access if there is a clean out to access.
So basically I would be making two frames? One above the pipe and one below the pipe? The one above the pipe I would screw to the joist/Beam in the basement ceiling? the one below the pipe I would fasten to the foundation?

·
retired framer
51,047 Posts
So basically I would be making two frames? One above the pipe and one below the pipe? The one above the pipe I would screw to the joist/Beam in the basement ceiling? the one below the pipe I would fasten to the foundation?
Yes that is right, they would both have to be tied to the foundation near the pipe too

The top needs to be firestopped so the cavity of the wall does not join to the floor cavity above and I would attach a 2x4 to the foundation above and below the pipe and use a 2x6 plate nailed to that above and below the pipe. and then finish the wall with 2x4s. You would just put plastic between wood and concrete where they touch.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Clean out plug, shut off valves, etc, would be framed 4 sides and covered with clean piece of plywood, sheetrock with edge trim or store bought access panels with cover. Make the access big enough, min 12x12".

If you don't want a wall over the pipes, you could:
1. xps on the foundation
2. 1x3 cleats on the xps with tapcon screws
3. drywall over the cleats
4. 3 sided box over the pipe and put your shelf over the box.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Op, did you test for moisture yet?

Your basement is wide open. Where does the high side of the 4" line go? What room is above it? Follow the pipe to its lowest point and where does it lead? Take some pictures of the high and low end of the pipe.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
First, put your ear to the pipe and have Ms. Pinterest go around the house flushing toilets and running faucets/showers while you listen. Maybe you could be on the phone with her.

Then report back and post pictures of the entire pipe run from as far away as you can. I mean from beginning to end.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts