DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a chandellier, but i wanna find the stud on the ceiling to secure the junction box.

I was always curious but i always wanted to know how are the studs spaced apart on the ceilings and also how are the joists spaced apart.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Stud finder is the best way without going in attic.Most here are 2 ft center to center.Stud Finders are anywhere from $10.00 to $20.00 and up this one is $20.00

·
Registered
737 Posts
You may have to go into the attick and take a quick look. I was having trouble finding a joist, and a quick peek revealed the joists were running the opposite direction that I had assumed! :-(

You might have to put in a nailer between two joists to mount your box to.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
You won't find studs in the ceiling.

You will find joists or trusses every 12,16 or 24" though :thumbup:

A studfinder doesn't know the difference either.:laughing:

Sometimes you can knuckle knock the drywall and get close.

Look at the outside of the roof and you can generally tell which way the trusses are running. A corner room with a hip roof may have then running both directions

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
If you find studs in the ceiling, it means that the house has rolled on its side and its time to flee! :laughing:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Once you find your "lumber" through the drywall I always get a "poker" (I'm not sure exactly what it's called... it looks like a screwdriver with a sharp point.) Anyway, use it to map out the "lumber" so you're dead on the center. I do this when I install heavy plasma tv's. Once I find the stud I poke holes until I find the edge of the stud... then go the other way until I find the opposite edge. This way you know for sure you're screwing into the center.

(simple putty fills the holes when done)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
:furious::furious::furious:
You dont know what the f:censored::censored:k you are talking about go back to school stud finders will work on ceilings.Use them every day and works every time:furious::furious::furious::furious:
I have plastered walls. The plaster board has a foil backing for insulation purposes.
Stud finders don't work worth a :censored: on this!
Dry wall, yes! But not this.
My daughters house has drywall installed over plaster on wood lath and it not good there either!

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
(RE 221/222) So you joined today just to say that?
What he said - if you can read

is that studs are NOT located in a ceiling
but that a stud finder will work because they don't know the difference either

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
221/222 Your posts were just trashed this time.

If you keep up that attitude, you will be banned from this site.

Ed

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Once you find your "lumber" through the drywall I always get a "poker" (I'm not sure exactly what it's called... it looks like a screwdriver with a sharp point.) Anyway, use it to map out the "lumber" so you're dead on the center. I do this when I install heavy plasma tv's. Once I find the stud I poke holes until I find the edge of the stud... then go the other way until I find the opposite edge. This way you know for sure you're screwing into the center.

(simple putty fills the holes when done)
In case you're interested, its name is an 'awl'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts