DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving into a new house, and want to put a water softener. The only place I can put it is on the garage where the main water comes into the house, as the laundry room is too small.

There's one problem, the garage doesn't have a drain where the exhuast water can go. The ceiling is more than 8" as recommended by the manufacture recommend of maximum height to run a drain line and too far to push the water across, and I can't drain it outside because it will be an environmental problem.

Where is the best place to drain the water coming out of the water softner?

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Had the water tested to even know if you need a softener?
How is the drain from a softener an environmental issue?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm moving within the same MUD district, and have own this softener and moved to a new home within the same district.

The waste water from the softener is harmful to plants and the environment. I don't want to kill the garden to the neighbor which is right next to the garage.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Punch a hole in the garage wall and install a dry well for the water. Or use the water to water your lawn.

Reactions: joecaption

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Not sure where your getting that info or even what a "MUD" district is.
I own three houses, all with softeners, all drain to a drywall and the grass is always greener where they drain.
Your getting some miss information.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a lessened learned. In my other home, I drained it to the side of the home, thinking like you, it would water the lawn, and learned my lesson.

Grass or plants don't like salt water in the long term, it would all die.

It's also stated by the manufacturer that the salt waste water needs to be drained and not dispersed out to the lawn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.