DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions and I know there are numerous experts as well as DIY'ers on this forum.

I could not find any of this info using the search here, if this has been covered I apologize.

Let me start by saying I consider myself a very knowledgeable DIY'er, I have done all kinds of home improvement projects for many years so I am not new to remodeling

I am remodeling my kitchen, I had existing cabinets that were physically in good condition but didn't have enough cabinets. So I have added cabinets on the opposite side of the room from the same manufacturer, i.e. the styles are the same. Since I knew I was going to re-finish the existing cabinets darker I ordered the new one RAW i.e. no finish.

I know to get good results going to a darker color i.e. espresso/coffee I need to strip the existing cabinets of all the finish, which I am now at about 70% completion. FYI I used Soy Gel Stripper and let me say I was very pleased with that product. Not fast but certainly not harsh nor does it smell bad.

So I have started getting the bids for applying the finish i.e. stain and final protective coats.

I have never had any luck using stains, i.e. my jobs have always be blotchy and ugly so I am willing to pay for this step to get a professional look.

It seems every bidder uses a different product for the final finish, i.e. Polyurethane, Lacquer, Catalyzed lacquer. Of course I will only accepted a sprayed finish.

From what I have read it seems that Polyurethane is the less desirable and that Lacquers tend to be the better more preferred finish. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now what I would like to know is are there real difference in durability between Lacquers and Catalyzed lacquer?

Are there other finishes that the experts would recommend?

Any advice/experience's you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much for your input
Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts