DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Filling in grout so tile looks seamless

949 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  huesmann
I've attached a picture of what my tile looks like. I'm considering painting over it but I don't want the grout lines.

I considered using self-leveling cement over it but Google has mixed opinions on that.

I've also considered just smoothing over the grout with more grout or caulk to blend all surfaces. Again, I want a totally smooth surface without any divets.

Is there a filler agent that could work for this, that I can also paint over?

Footwear Shoe Wood Beige Standing
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7,590 Posts
No. You cannot add a skim coat of grout because it would be too thin to be durable. You could remove all the existing grout and replace it, taking extreme care to keep the grout flush with the top of the tile … a very difficult task.

· Naildriver
23,379 Posts
Eddie is right, your cards are dealt. You will always have that 1/4" grout line. It looks to have been a good tile lay, so you have that benefit going for you.

· Registered
Building my last home
5,530 Posts
Rip out the tile and purchase tile DESIGNED to be put edge to edge. You will still have small lines between the tile. The only way to make it one solid surface is with terrazzo, It is beauful but I do not have that kind of money

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.