DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm redoing the caulk around our kitchen backsplash, which is about 4" high granite that leads to the drywall. There are some sizeable gaps between the granite and the drywall. Not sure if it was just installed poorly or if it has pulled away a little (I mean, I can tell the install wasn't great looking at some of the joints...).

I pulled out all the old caulk, but when trying to put new in, it was sinking down too much. I see backer rod for sale, but not sure if that it what I need. I was worried that if I put it in, it might also get pushed down, but maybe it would just need to support the caulk until it dried? But when I'm smoothing the line I could see it getting pushed down and messing everything up. Could it be glued in place if there is nothing for it to push up against?

Looks like the previous owner used some kind of gray caulk/filler that hardened to a solid rubbery surface, then white caulk on top of that. Any ideas on what would be best to use? Any other filler product, spray foam, etc. that would work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Check the caulk that you will be using as the manufacturer will specify the maximum width of a gap for use without backer rod. Usually it is at the 5/16" point where the rod is needed. Most of the backer is 1/4" or larger which indicates the size of the gap it is used to fill.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
OP could also buy a length of untreated hemp rope (must be the plaited verity) and un-weave a strand to use as a backer.

Sidebar: One time I found shiplap caulking in an old, original Hardware store (some few _may_ be still around) and I used that to fill around a leaking window, but the creosote (?) aroma lingered for a long time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. The caulk lists a maximum gap of 3/8"which is in the neighborhood of the gaps, but it just wasn't staying put where I started so I need something in there.

HD only has a roll of 300' or something so I ordered some online. They only had 1/2" in the smaller rolls that were available now so I got that. I'm hoping it can compress a little?

Here's a pic of what's going on. Definitely have spots bigger than 3/8 so hopefully the rod fits in there, and there are parts that shouldn't need any.

Thanks again!

·
retired painter
13,138 Posts
It should compress enough. It's foam or something like that. Use a stiff putty knife to stuff it in the crack. It's been a long time since I've bought any backer rod but unless I needed a lot I always bought it by the foot at my local paint store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.