DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our walls are made of 1/2 inch thick interlocking wood panels, and a few of them have developed holes as knots fell out. One such hole is 1.5 inch in diameter. What is the best way to fill such a large hole? I bought the "plastic wood" filler but I'm afraid it will just fall in if it's not supported by anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mask arouind the hole. Get another piece of tape 2-3" long. use your baby finger or you wife/kid and attach it to the back of the hole. try, without breaking the tape to attach the other side to the back. get some 5 min. epoxy, mix in sawdust until you can for a firm ball just a little bigger then the hole. insert it into the hole. cut off that part of ball still sticking out wait till it dries and mix up more to fill voids hole fixed

·
Registered
7,872 Posts

Cutting the knots out this way and then buying wood plugs. 2" hole saw? The hole saw also makes plugs but smaller because of the saw kerf thickness. Because the boards are stained you can't smear glue/bondo around it. Also search inlay patch/plug. Can be done by hand with a chisel. If using hole cutting jig, you can use thin screws into the panel joints so you don't mar the panel faces.

For plug backer, search videos on drywall patching on how. Backer wood can be glued and no nail or screw or you don't mar the face.

·
retired painter
13,142 Posts
IMO a wood plug looks best. The baseboard in my bed rm is sawmill hemlock. When I ran it thru the planer it chewed up and spit out a knot. To prevent having to use shorter pieces I took and whittled down a piece of bradford pear limb and glued it in place. Once sanded and stained it just looks like a knot .... and most folks wouldn't even notice.

·
retired framer
59,813 Posts
Part of the character of the wood is the knots. I would find a way to fill it and leave it looking like a knot. Find some kind of epoxy or putty that you can work with on vertical board.

·
Registered
639 Posts
What kind of finish do the panels have? An option is wood filler. There are wood fillers out there that you could use, but first, you must install a piece of wood backer with glue.

Then the wood fillers... ELMER's has some in wood colors and some to be stained. May be one of the colors may work or you may have to tain. You could get get a couple of colors and test-dry a sample. You will have to apply in a few coats of filler using an artist's spatula to shape it in, in particular for the last coat. Once dry they can be sanded or scraped with something sharp. If you have a bit of craftsman/artist hands, it could be sealed and paint a couple of very dark rings with a fine brush, then dab dark stain over... It will always look as an irregularity, probably the darker the better.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Our walls are made of 1/2 inch thick interlocking wood panels, and a few of them have developed holes as knots fell out. One such hole is 1.5 inch in diameter. What is the best way to fill such a large hole? I bought the "plastic wood" filler but I'm afraid it will just fall in if it's not supported by anything.

You know what? You could put a small bird perched on the hole!:smile:
It would be perfect!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.