DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Figuring out valve functions

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  swade 
#1 ·
Hi all
What's a good way to figure out the function of a manual valve, i.e. what it connects to etc.?

I have three manual in-ground valves. One of them has a handle that's about to break, one doesn't have a handle and the third has to be shut because when it's open water comes out the pipe that's connected to it. I'm not sure if that water coming out of the pipe is a leak or what so I'm trying to understand what the valves are for and what the pipes feed.
Is there a recommended process for basically creating an as-built drawing of a sprinkler system including tracing where all the pipes lead?

#2 ·
Are the pipes metal or pvc? With metal, use a metal detector to follow.

What do you mean by handle? Is it seperate from the valve, as in a shutoff before the water gets to the valve? Or is it part of the valve for opening and closing?

As for the one that leaks, you should repair that.

Then turn on each valve one by one and see what happens. A pic would be really helpful.

#3 ·
When I hear "manual valve" and "handle" this is what I think of http://www.nibco.com/cms.do?id=2&pId=133

(couldnt get the pic to upload)

Is that what your talking about?...Im gussing they are in the ground in a box of some sort?

easiest way to trace....dig it up unless there is a wire with it or like kap mentioned if its metal use a detector.

If you called me to your property I would;

repair the broken pipe, and open the the vavle...search for additional leaks or locate the heads, soaker hose whatever its feeding

Repair the handle on the 2nd one...then same as above

Repair the handle on the 1st one...then same as above.

The water has to go somewhere, turn it on and see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.