DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Fiberglass tub/shower needs help.

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  langit 
#1 ·
Prepping this house for sale. We have a older one pc tub/shower unit that might be worth saving. It has no cracks, scratches or chips. Just looks like crap. Looks dirty actually, but it has been scrubbed clean as it is going to get. I assume the gel-coat is worn off in places. Anyone tried any off the shelf products to restore?

See less See more
#9 ·
The Rustoleum product in dd57chevy's post is a real two-part epoxy which is the only thing I would attempt for DIY. One-part epoxy is a fraud. Not cheap, and for your setup you would probably need three kits. Downside, because it's two-part, it's indended to be brushed or rolled on. Downside, you should wear a real charcoal-filter mask with it. Upside, it probably sticks to fiberglass better than porcelain, and the fiberglass would be easy to rough up. In your case, white on white, coverage should not be a major issue.

#12 ·
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. It would cost that or more just to buy another one piece unit. And then when you consider time to tear out and replace.
Any idea how durable the finish would be from a pro? Or what the life expectancy would be?

#7 ·
The CLR didn't touch it. I let it sit for about 10 mins. and tried scrubbing it. Also tried bleach again. It doesn't appear to be stained, just faded or discolored. The house is on municipal water and doesn't have a iron rich problem, but the CLR was a good shot!

#13 ·
I have city water and I know what you mean as far as getting that 'dirty' look on the surface of the tub and shower. Mine was brand new in about 2007.

I tried every single product available in the stores - some of them a couple times. What finally worked for me, and I use it regularly now, is:

*32 oz. plastic sprayer bottle. Buy it in the garden dept. at the hardware store as they seem to work better than one from the dollar store.
*1.5 cup blue Dawn dish detergent (Original, not diluted)
*1.5 cup white vinegar

You can use any amount, as long as it's 1/2 Dawn and 1/2 vinegar.

First pour the vinegar into the bottle, using a funnel and then pour the Dawn in or the vinegar will cause the Dawn to foam-up.

Put the lid on the bottle and gently swirl it until it's all mixed up. Shaking it will cause a lot of foam.

After spraying it on the tub and shower, let it set for 2 hours. After the 2 hours, use a scrub brush on the entire surface, but you don't need to scrub hard at all.

Rinse well.

#16 ·
I did give the Dawn and vinegar a good test the other day to no avail. This discoloration appears to be coming from within the fiberglass itself.
I am not even sure it is the gelcoat coming off. When I run my fingernail across a light to dark area there isn't a detectable difference in the finish.

But thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.