DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Scotts "Summer Guard" brand is probably safe to apply during the hot months, but what about general "weed and feed?"

Summer formulas generally don't have any weed killer.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You know there are no set rules or schedules for feeding a lawn; nowadays, the movement is conscientiously towards applying what you need at the appropriate time, according to the results you wish for, not "4x a year" necessarily because the results of over- or under-feeding both have effects on your lawn, probably everyone's.

So what is your soil type? how healthy is it? is it stressed out now, how 'bout weeds? I assume you're in the northern part of the world and therefore have cool-season grasses - but I could be wrong. What part of the world are you in exactly? how high do you mow if you mow at all? what grass is predominant? do you have shade? how old is your lawn?

As for the weed killer, why apply a weed-killer in their dormant season?

These are just some of the questions that affect the answer to your question...it has nothing to do with the fact that today is June 17th.

Having said all that I haven't lookked at the Scotts program you mention, but I trust that the doses and types of, for instance, nitrogen in the 'plan' are suitable for all lawns, but at the same time may be too much or too little for yours.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
I do an early Spring weed & feed & then 6 weeks later another one. Then about 6 weeks after that I do the summer feed
My front lawn has very few weeds - the main lawn I weed & feed
The back & other side have been a mess due to construction

1 - 3 of 3 Posts