DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I poured a concrete patio last year and just so happens that my gas meter is apart of the patio. It may vary by area but I'm assuming there's a minimum distance you must have around the meter? I was thinking about making a movable SOMETHING to hide the meter from view. Bar table maybe?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Do they look at the meter to read it or does it transmit a signal that they drive by to read? I don’t know the regulations where you are, but it makes sense that you could build a cabinet or something easy to access and label it that the gas meter is inside.

·
Usually Confused
7,269 Posts
Perhaps ask your supplier. If it is 'human read' they may say nothing at all since the reader has a route to get through and can't/be unwilling to move stuff, or may say yes to certain things and no to others. Also, if your supplier is like ours, perhaps you can do your own reading and submit it online. The only downside is it has to be within a few day window and you have to remember to do it.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
On second thought, I would build a cabinet with a small window to look through to get the reading.

·
Hvac Pro
23,681 Posts
You cannot enclose it.

The pressure regulator B4 it has a vent and if any gas leaks out that vent and builds up inside the cabinet>> KABOOM. Somebody walks by with a cigarette and then it can light up in theory.

They are meant to vent to the open atmosphere.

All gas meters have to be manually read a couple times per year to keep people honest. I have not seen any electronic ones yet.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Go to the gas company website as they should have information posted about residential gas meters. Important that they can change out the meter easily in the future.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
All gas meters have to be manually read a couple times per year to keep people honest. I have not seen any electronic ones yet.
We have had smart meters for gas about 10 years. Where I am, the utility is gas & electric.
It would not make any sense to go smart meters for electric and maintain the meter reader staff for gas.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
In our area a meter can be enclosed as long as there is room to service or change it and if the vent is outdoors. Some are in a closet in the cellar.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
But they are usually different entities.
They may be different entities where you live but in many areas they are the same company. I'm sure that's the case where the other poster was referencing. And I certainly agree, if they are the same entity then it makes no sense to have 1 of the 2 being smart and the other one not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts