DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I had some fence posts that I have had to replace, and they needed to go back in the exact same spots. So, because the old posts were dug out, the holes are pretty big (about 2' wide).

My father-in-law, who put some other posts in around the house, said that he put rocks around the post and covered them with cement, then more rocks, filled with cement, etc. But everywhere else I have seen says to use a concrete mix (like Quikrete). The posts my father-in-law put in have been solid for 15+ years, but I also don't want to go against what everybody else says is right!!!

So...Cement (with rocks), or a concrete mix? And if cement, do I just need Portland Cement?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, remove rocks and fill with a concrete mix? I can't use a concrete mix with the rocks as the mix won't seep through the rocks.

Will the size of the hole make any difference to do with the fact of what I use?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
The size of the hole makes no difference.Just takes more concrete.I usually put about 6" of pea rock in the bottom of the hole to aid drainage and then set the post and fill with concrete.

·
Rob
1,036 Posts
Cement is an ingredient in concrete and mortar. My guess is when he said cement he meant concrete. Which a lot of people do when they say cement truck. It is most likely a concrete truck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cement is an ingredient in concrete and mortar. My guess is when he said cement he meant concrete. Which a lot of people do when they say cement truck. It is most likely a concrete truck.[/QUOTE

Listen to Robpo. Cement is the glue. Cement per se has very limited applications, unless you do stucco work. Cement is sold so that the end-user can make their own mix with aggregates.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand the difference between cement and concrete, and that concrete is just one ingredient if concrete. It's just that I was told to fill my hole with large rocks and then complete by filling in with cement. Research told me different, hence the question.

I have gone with the advice on here and got myself bags of concrete. Going well....so far!!!

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
244 Posts
...I was told to fill my hole with large rocks and then complete by filling in with cement.
Whoever told you that, they advised you wrong. It is not like pouring melted chocolate over biscuits. Cement does not work this way. it does not bond to itself. It bonds the aggregates together.
Good luck with your project!

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Basically, your proposed aggragate is way-way-way-way- way-way-way-way-way-way-way-way- way-way-way-way too big.:):laughing:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Not rocket science. Chuckk in some big rocks if you want. Mix the concrete (I.e. Portland cement and aggregates) real loose and pour around. Done and done. Unless you are one of those who says set posts withOUT concrete. (Just set 20 locust split rail posts that way) ron

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
The only way I could see the OP proposal of being successful would be to wash all the big rocks. Dirt isn't allowed in a concrete mix of any kind.

Mix a grout slurry of clean sand and portland cement being heavy on the portland. This slurry will have about a 9 inch slump. Put a layer of slurry in the hole, then a layer of stones with about a half inch spacing, followed by another layer of slurry covering the largest stones by an inch or two. Repeat with rock layers then slurry until the hole is full with the slurry being the last thing put in the hole. That last batch of slurry can be more like grout and be stiff enough to crown for drainage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your help on this. What I did in the end was dig the holes deeper (just over 2' deep for 8' posts), put a couple of inches of crushed stone for drainage, placed the post, and put in a concrete mix. Because the holes were so wide (had to be due to the ground in Newfoundland being 'rocky' and removal of rocks!) I stuck the odd rock back in as 'filler' as I was pouring the mix, after cleaning them off. I tapered the top so rain will run away from the posts, and topped off with soil, to hide the ugly concrete!
That was a few days ago, and yesterday I hung my own made, wooden, double gate, on the posts. It is holding well!

Thanks for all of your help. It made a massive difference to how I approached this 'annoying' project, which has now become a success! I now have a back garden that I can safely let out my dog and 2 year old, without fear of them 'wandering off'!

Cheers.

P.S. Now just an issue with how to set the drop rod properly...but I'll post separately for that!

http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/best-way-setting-gate-drop-rod-205826/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts