DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Fence post

1584 52
Hello, I live in Florida where the soil is soft and we get strong winds from storms. I am replacing my fence and trying to decide whether I need to put cement in or no cement or use crushed stone instead in posts. I know there is a lot of debate about this. I had a few post break at the ground level and those were cemented in and lasted about 13 years.

Does it help to put cement and above the ground level and sloping away? Would digging a 3 foot hole and using crushed stone instead of cement be good? It will be a board on board 6 foot tall fence
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Naildriver
23,101 Posts
Much of it will depend on your fence design. Are you designing a sail, or will wind pass through it readily? What diameter and height posts are you using?

· retired framer
70,175 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, board on board as in the picture. 6 foot high fence. 4x4 posts. I would like to do a shadow box so wind passes through but my wife wants the two sides I build to match the third side which my neighbor put up

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Can the postmaster be melted on with something other than a blow torch?

also, Does topping the concrete above ground level and sloping the concrete away help? My concrete was below ground level so I imagine that allowed the soil , water, etc to eat at it.

· retired framer
70,175 Posts
Can the postmaster be melted on with something other than a blow torch?

also, Does topping the concrete above ground level and sloping the concrete away help? My concrete was below ground level so I imagine that allowed the soil , water, etc to eat at it.
Yes concrete a little higher will help.
I suspect any heat gun will shrink it but any butyl window flashing will work too like Blueskin.

· Registered
1,363 Posts
Some AHJ require metal posts. Did you check with them? Do you need a permit to build a fence?
Personally, I would never use a wood fence post. Always used metal (even 60 years ago) and those fences are still standing. Just my thoughts.
I don't understand how setting a wood post into concrete (or anything else) could help as the water would soak into the wood then all the way down to the bottom of the post even if it is set in concrete.

· Registered
3,040 Posts
I had an expensive 6' cedar fence installed when I first bought my house. After about 3 years a windstorm knocked down about 5 posts, taking six sections with them. Had the installers come out and this time they installed the 4x4 cedar posts with angle iron braces nailed to them before they sunk them in concrete. Those posts lasted over 30 years. When we replaced the old fence we had the installers reuse the angle iron braces with the new posts. I don't understand why this is not common practice these days.

Brown Wood Door Rectangle Wood stain

· Registered
1,363 Posts
Trapped water without air is not a problem. They harvest logs that have been in lakes for a 100 years
Yes, but those logs were completely submerged. They were not 80% sticking out above the water. So those old submerged logs are not like wood fence posts. Besides those old logs are better quality than the junk that is now sold as wood fence posts.
Save time and money and use metal posts.

· Registered
1,363 Posts
For the last fence I built I used steel posts that were salvaged drill pipe. I bought from Eagle National Steel. They cost less than half of galvanized fence posts and the steel is much heavier gauge. Go to wholesaler not retailer. They will cut to custom length. They will know someone who will deliver if you cannot haul them yourself.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts