DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I did leave a comment on the introduction page and some very nice folks there said it was OK to jump in and ask a question.

I live in a 1200 square-foot brick home. I wanted to have some windows recaulked on the outside because cold air was leaking in during frigid Illinois winters. I've spent three winters putting up weatherstripping and plastic film and more weatherstripping and cold air just kept coming in.

I researched this project for several months trying to decide whether or not it was something I could do myself, or with the help of a handyman/handywomen.

Everything I read said that the old caulk around the windows needed to be cut out before applying new caulk. I should mention here that the windows are the "generic" vinyl replacement windows everybody was getting about 10 years ago. So there's no wood involved. The caulk is in between the aluminum trim of the window and the brick masonry.

My question is if anyone can help me is that correct that the old caulk must be removed before applying new?

It seems to make sense to me because otherwise how would you even get a bead of caulk with the new stuff if there's no gap, because it's still filled with the old caulk.

I don't have enough points to make a signature yet. But I am 65 years old and live near Normal, Illinois. Thank you for any help anyone can give. And please forgive me for the "punny" title. :giggle:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes it’s a good idea to remove as much caulk as possible you can usually cut it with a utility knife scratch it out with a putty knife or screwdriver maybe even a brush for final scrapings as for caulk I use np1 lasts a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Naildriver
10,809 Posts
In addition, can you post a picture or two showing the existing caulk in suspect areas so we can see what you see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In addition, can you post a picture or two showing the existing caulk in suspect areas so we can see what you see.

The top pic shows the original caulk. This is what they were supposed to cut out. I took this "before"

The middle and bottom pictures are representative of the "after"

The caulk was not cut out, and is even showing through the material they used to recaulk.

These are representative of all the windows in the house.

My concern is the company is demanding full payment, when the agreement specifically included cutting the old caulk out.

It seems to me if the job had been done according to the agreement, the material they used to re-caulk would have sunk into the gap between the window and the brick and it wouldn't be so thick (and ugly).

The original caulk was only bad on some windows. The company suggested I do all the windows, likening it to replacing half a roof. That made sense to me.

Thoughts? You guys seem to know a lot about this stuff. I did a lot of research prior to hiring someone and everything I read said the old caulk must be removed to do the job correctly.

Grateful for any thoughts. Is the new stuff peeling off already? Or did they just not make sure it adhered to the brick when they applied it? I'm not sure my situation is actually improved over what it was.

·
Naildriver
10,809 Posts
Not the best looking caulk job, but you aren't getting air through those points. I understand your point about removing all the old, but sometimes all the old just doesn't come out. If you are getting cold air through the window trim, I would remove the trim and see if there is any insulation or foam between the framing and the window itself. Often these areas are skimped on and air infiltration occurs. One piece of trim will tell the tale of the entire house usually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts