DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am in the process of building a 16x16 shed/woodshop. I am a complete novice to large rough construction, though I've done a couple small woodworking projects.

Was hoping you guys could take a quick look at what I'm doing and point out any glaring mistakes I may have made. This is a learning experience for me, but I also don't want to do something that could jeopardize my safety or sacrifice the structural integrity of the building.

Here is the WIP build album I have so far.

I just recently started on the roof, so any pointers there would be appreciated. As I outline in the album, I am doing a 2x8 ridge board with 2x6 rafters 24" O.C. with a 6" overhang. I will later install a gutter. I fudged the ridge board height a bit so roof pitch is closer to 4.5/12 than the intended 5/12 pitch but should be OK still. I am thinking 2x8 ceiling joists, though that may be overkill. Will add a stiffback and angular bracing.

I've mostly just been learning by watching Larry Haun, Shannon from Home-Improvements, and Country Life Projects on YouTube.

Any feedback or tips is appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It is like ~3.5 ft over the 8' run of the roof. Somewhere between a 4/12 and 5/12 pitch. Was going to do a 5/12 pitch but miscalculated the height of the ridge board.

:oops:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Had trouble getting clear look at prints but I would put a couple of ceiling rafters on before you load the roof with osb and shingled. Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not start by learning roof structure, actually I know how but I would just order up 7 trusses and 2 gables at a 6/12 and call it a day.
Initially we were going to build some trusses on the floor before we built the walls, but I wanted to use some of the ceiling area for storage of sheet goods and lumber so I switched to a stick frame with ceiling joists. I've since scrapped that idea as I don't want compression load on the ceiling joists/rafter ties since they're supposed to act as tension loads to keep the walls/rafters from bowing out. I want to get the roof OSB on this week because we are expecting snow soon. Either shingled or covered with a tarp. Hopefully the roof will survive it, if not maybe I'll end up buying trusses after all. 8|

I'm hoping once I get the joists, stiffback and some angle bracing in there and tie it all together it will be pretty solid. In the future I will probably uses trusses though.

Had trouble getting clear look at prints but I would put a couple of ceiling rafters on before you load the roof with osb and shingled. Ron
I will be putting ceiling joists in and locking all the rafters and joists in before I sheath and shingle the roof. Will hopefully work on that tonight.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks! It is like ~3.5 ft over the 8' run of the roof. Somewhere between a 4/12 and 5/12 pitch. Was going to do a 5/12 pitch but miscalculated the height of the ridge board.

:oops:
No, I meant the different heights of the foundation piers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No, I meant the different heights of the foundation piers
Oh gotcha. The difference from the shortest pier (front right) to the longest (back left) is ~18". I believe it goes down to the frost line (brother filled them not me). The whole property basically slopes down toward the woods. The back pier did worry me a bit with how high and thin it was but there is rebar in it to try and strengthen it some for any lateral forces it receives. I hope anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Why not a concrete slab ? You're gonna get critters under that floor, especially given the woods
Money. Which is also why I'm doing everything myself. That is a valid concern though, I'll have to keep an eye on it. I expect the cat will either make a home there or keep at least the smaller critters at bay. Maybe lattice side skirts to keep the bigger critters out? I'm hoping since I went rigid foam insulation instead of fiberglass it won't become quite the rats nest that fiberglass would. Guess I'll find out.

So far looks like my out of pocket cost has been ~$2000. Will probably be another $800-$1000 for windows, doors, and insulation. Maybe ~$500-800 more for shingles & vinyl. So maybe not dirt cheap but not the $7k+ I was getting quoted before I started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts