DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've popped off the handle, removed the screw and plastic, and the small wire, but can't seem to get the actual stem out. I don't want to break it, but I can't seem to pull it out. Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Picture was taken before I removed the clip...

That's the only difference between the picture and how it's now. The stem is still in there very tight...

From all the YouTube videos I've seen, it should just pull out... But I must be missing something.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Could just be sediment build-up. Try some penetrating oil and channel locks or pliers and work stem back & forth a little, then up. Is it threaded in? If so, use a cresent wrench.

As you've mentioned, stem should just pull right out once the locking nut and retainer are removed. Open stem to on position. Don't forget to turn off water.

Are you replacing the stem with a new one? If so, take it to a hardware, big box, or plumbing supply store and match it up. Don't forget to check the seats and springs, replace if needed.

·
Registered
13,724 Posts
The hex nut looks to have had all the wrong wrenches on it so now it's time for the pipe wrench. Bump the pipe wrench with your hand as an impact and if that hurts too much a 2x4 about 2 ft. long makes a great impact tool when it hits near the handle end.

·
Registered
37,461 Posts
You have a store brand cheap faucet, do yourself a favor and replace the whole thing with a better brand, Moen comes to mind.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Have you removed the cap nut yet? That shaft goes through the cap nut---put a crescent wrench on that and unscrew it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.