DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a ceiling fan operated by two switches.

1 switch is just an on/off that powers fan
1 switch is a speed control for the fan.

The fan doesn't have a light kit. I'm installing one tonight.

Is there anyway to control the light on/off and the fan speed separately but both on a switch?

I've attached pictures.
The on/off switch has
2 blacks on the switch and one red
The white isn't on the switch.

The fan speed has 2 reds that are connected to the switch and the black which is capped and not connected.

The fan has
1 black
1 red
1 white.

I think but im not positive that the power is at the fan.

I want to control the fan and light separately

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the fan set up before I took the fan down.

Not sure why the black is capped by itself. Should I attach the blue of the fan to. The capped black.

Then the black of the switch to control the light?

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
If your speed switch only works when other 'power' switch is on, they are probably in series at the switch box and old. Or they needed to fill 2 gangs at the switch. Maybe planned for an eventual light control? Today, one switch can control on/off and a few speeds. Fan direction is typically a switch on the fan housing.

You may luck out with minor rewiring of the 2 switches in your switch box. I'd see if existing speed control switch also has an on/off button. If not, you need a new one. Draw a wiring diagram of existing before you start. Then hot power to that speed switch on one terminal and red to ceiling box on the other. The fan wires can remain white to white and black to red. If fan has speeds of its own on a pull chain, experiment with combinations of that with new switch speeds and then never use pull chain again.

Your other existing switch in your switch box could then be used as an on/off switch for new light. It would also have a hot supply to it and the black wire that goes to the ceiling box. Whatever wiring comes with new light kit, wire it blue to black (your second hot supply). Looks like unit was pre-wired all along, at light compartment. Just using your pic but read directions with new light. If it has a pull chain, make sure it's on so wall switch will work. Can swap in a dimmer switch instead since wiring is separate but depends these days on bulbs etc.

Looked at your pic again. Yes you are pre-wired for a light. The existing black and red under twist cap is your red hot supply from wall switch/speed control combo for fan. The other capped black is other hot supply from a switch for a light. Blue wire is waiting for it. Green is ground.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much!'

Since nothing goes easy. For some reason when It wasn't working I wired it back to the way I found it.

Now the fan isn't working at all. Realized the red traveler from ceiling had a break in it. And the wire is to short to fix it. Guess I'll be in the attic tomorrow trying to extend the wire.

And yea the fan speed switch only works if the on/off switch is on.

Thanks again!'

·
Registered
951 Posts
Your other option if extending the red wire fails is to use the black hot wire only. Twisting the hot black supply to both the fan's black and blue wires will power both the fan and the light. No need for any wall switches but all fan on/off, speeds, light on/off would have to be by pull chains only.

Hope you find some slack on the cable in the attic by removing a staple or 2 and then pulling it down a bit so you have 2 separate cables for powering the 2 units. Although it was originally wired using '3 way cable' with a red traveler wire, you'd be using it as 2 separate power supplies (commonly done for fans with intended wall switch for a light).

·
Master Electrician
4,603 Posts
There is no three-way involved. The three wire cable at the fan is a neutral and two switched power wires. At the wall switch you connect power to your new controller, power out of the controller. One for the light and one for the fan.
If the power was at the ceiling box there would be at least two white conductors in the ceiling box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone.
Somehow the fan stopped working completely.
To test it I took the black wire and white and stuck it in an extension cord. Still nothing.

So I'll buy a new fan.
Hook the blue of the fan to the black in the ceiling. Red in ceiling to black of fan

Then hook up the new light and fan control with the extra capped black and hope everything works.

If not I'll be back on here.

Thank again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm back unfortunately it didn't work.

The black wire from the fan control switch seems to always be hot.

So I connected the blue of fan to the attic black and the lights have power but I can't figure out a way to turn the lights off from a switch.

Does anyone know an easy fix?

If not does anyone know of a wireless fan Light control. The fan works with the switch but I need something for the light other then the pull chain.

Any thoughts??

Thanks agsin

·
Registered
951 Posts
You can fix and keep the 2 switches but you need to make wiring changes at switches.
Because no pics of switches, these are assumed connections.You've got 3 wires at ceiling = good. Terms are wall switch, speed switch, ceiling box and fan wires.

Verify Existing condition: wall switch box has a hot supply (black) to box area and is under a cap in box (before first connection to wall switch connector). It is pigtailed with 1 black to wall switch connector and 1 black to ceiling box (both are hot). A white capped bundle of neutrals is in switch box and 1 white goes to ceiling box. A very short black is on other wall switch terminal and goes to speed switch to a connector. Other side of speed switch has a red wire on connector and goes to ceiling box.

New wiring required: Remove short black wire between the 2 switches, hold aside.
Under capped black bundle in wall switch, disconnect black wire to ceiling box (hold aside) and use short black that was set aside above and put under bundled cap and connect to left side of speed switch. Hot is now feeding both switches.

Don't change whites. Don't change red (on right side of speed switch). Connect black wire that goes to ceiling box to other side of wall switch.

Fan connections: White to white. Black fan to red wire (hot from speed switch). Blue fan to black wire (hot from wall switch).

Assumption: Speed switch for fan always had an off position. Speed switch will control fan. Wall switch will turn light on/off. Make sure pull chains on fan are set where you want them so switches will work.

Green to green is for grounding at fan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I took all the wires from the fan speed switch I noticed that.

There are 5 sets of 14/3 wire coming into the box. And 1 set of 14/2 wire coming in

The 2 reds that are connected are actually part of two sets of wires and not one as I originally thought.

I assume the 14/2 wire is the source and everything is getting power from that.

I also assume that I need to find out where the capped black in the attic is getting power and install a switch to control the light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
having a rough time with the pictures.
its asking for a web address. I put the pics on this image hosting site.

3 way switch with red,black,white,ground

ceiling fan with capped black before removal

5 sets of 14/3 wires coming in
and 1 14/2 wire coming in

have a white wire wrapped in with the blacks....

·
Registered
951 Posts
Don't try what I suggested last. Both I and brric couldn't tell that you really do have 2 3-way switches with a fan speed control also.

The new posted pics are helpful to a point but it's hard to tell whole story of where the hot supply is coming in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea me either lol

As of tonight I have a fan/light combo switch where the speed switch was.

The switch can operate correctly but will only work when the normal 3 way switch is on. I assume that's the hot wires?

Anyway think I'm buying this from Lutron. Should solve my problem

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039Q914I/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_VtjQvbJ8SMMHB

On a side note you guys are exteremlly knowledgeable. Try the justanswer.com sight and get paid for all the advice.

Thanks again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts