DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First issue: Fireplace is 90 years old and is faced with nice brown speckled bricks. Between a few of the bricks the mortar has failed - only at the top, and not in enough places that it is a structural issue. The joints are 3/16th" to 1/4" wide and the mortar color is medium brown. I repointed the exterior chimney years ago with good results, but the mortar was just grey and the gaps were much wider. Because I am currently tiling the hearth, I thought about just filling the gaps with grout or sanded caulking but I don't like doing things half-assed, particularly if it's also a terrible idea. :laughing: Can some one point me in the right direction? What is the best product, how do I match the color, and how do you repoint such tiny gaps?

Second issue: Fireplace has 3 decorative concrete tiles that unfortunately are quite faded. They are embossed and appear to have been colored at one time. How the color was applied is a mystery to me. From my internet research I thought they may be encaustic concrete tiles, but none of the examples online look anything similar. Ceramic tile was common on old fireplaces, but concrete...? Does anyone know anything about these tiles?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure if it is glazed or not. It does feel very smooth, but does not repel water and is not shiny.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't gouge the old mortar back about 1/2" then use sanded Portland tile grout to re-joint the whole thing. The joints are narrow but a regular grout saw will clean the joints easily.

I wouldn't dare to use any kind of caulk that you may never get off of the textured brick face.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts