DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,596 Posts
Old plain-steel tanks will rust quickly from the 10% ethanol gasoline that we more or less have to use now. Ditto steel fuel pumps and lines. Worst are the early mid-80's to 90's fuel injected cars that were not made with ethanol in mind. Plastic or stainless is the way to go.
It is not the ethanol in the gas that rusts tanks.

Moonshine, attracts water from the air, So it is the water that is in the moonshine, that rusts fuel components.

There is a couple of stations here that sells E-Free gas, at a quarter or so more cost per gallon. :vs_mad:

Another rip off, just like in the '70s when unleaded was new, it costs more to not add something? Balderdash.

ED

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,596 Posts
Great.

I like to hear that someone else drives the older vehicles for a lifetime, at least the lifetime of the vehicle.

I drove an "87" until it would not go any more.

Had to replace it after 25 years. 300,000 miles.

I cried when that BLONDE hit it and wrecked it. :vs_mad:

Then she flirted her way out of a traffic citation.

How often do they test vehicles in Arizona?

Yearly?

ED

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
My 92' Ranger is up to 455,000 miles now. My vehicle category is required to be inspected every two years.

This is a big load off. I only have this one truck. I was down to 3 day restricted use permits. And they don't allow you to drive to work or run errands on those.

I'll celebrate with a Black & Tan beer tonight, I'll post the beer picture in another forum.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thankfully where I am located, emissions testing, was done away with last year. It was determined that it was a waste of money as most vehicles passed, yet everyone had to pay to have this done every two years. A waste, not to mention unscrupulous mechanics, and public gouging. Probably the only government decision I ever agreed with.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I agree Polarzak, I complained to state officials in the past about emissions inspections. It puts an undue burden on citizens. The new cars and electric ones are replacing the old vehicles anyway.

I heard Washington State abolished their emissions testing program in January.

After I passed emissions Saturday morning, I renewed my one year vehicle registration online. It tacked on an $8 late fee after I followed the regulations and used the required temporary driving passes. The system won't allow you to renew the standard vehicle tags till you resolve your emissions problem! Already complained about that. This is nothing but a revenue grab.

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is nothing but a revenue grab.

Absolutely. In a side note, my daughter's 2009 Ranger was totaled recently by some idiot, and as she loved it dearly, wanted another. It has been impossible to find another Ranger in the same year or newer, (last year made was 11) , so with the settlement money (plus) we are picking up a 2010 Mazda B4000, better known as the Ranger clone. I hope so, as we had really a good experience with that Ranger.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,596 Posts
Absolutely. In a side note, my daughter's 2009 Ranger was totaled recently by some idiot, and as she loved it dearly, wanted another. It has been impossible to find another Ranger in the same year or newer, (last year made was 11) , so with the settlement money (plus) we are picking up a 2010 Mazda B4000, better known as the Ranger clone. I hope so, as we had really a good experience with that Ranger.
Actually, the Ranger was a clone.

During many years, Ford bought unbranded Mazdas, Mitsubishis, and other Japanese stuff, and just added their badge.

Especially their smaller stuff.

So the B4000, might have different labels, but is the same thing.

ED

41 - 53 of 53 Posts