DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Trying to repair a ceiling that had the drywall face paper torn off (in the process of changing a shower and the shower glass was siliconed to the ceiling).

Since the face paper was torn I cut it nice and even, but then like a total rookie I tried to mud right over the exposed brown core paper of the drywall. Lo and behold, it absorbed the moisture and all blistered under the mud.

From what I am reading this am I should have sealed the paper with something like Gardz before mudding it. Missed my chance.

The ceiling is smooth and even now except for the blistered zones where I can feel the bubbles through the plaster.

Is there any way I can repair this without cutting out the affected section and starting over?

More to the point, if I just the brown paper away I'm assuming I can't just mud over it again and need to put down some paper or fiberglass tape to serve as a base?

In short ...ugh! Bonehead move.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

B

·
retired painter
9,928 Posts
You should be able to cut just the offending paper, then coat that area with either Gardz or an oil base primer. Once dry it's ready for the finishing process.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mark is right. Dig out the blisters with a knife - cut gently. Fill them with mud, and go on. It will be just fine.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
If the shower enclosure was fixed to the ceiling, that area may blister again because where the enclosure is butted to the ceiling, it is not protected. Not saying it wll happen, but there is more chance now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

Ending up cutting out the blisters, painting with Gardz and then mudded, looks great and didn't take too long so all in all not so bad.

Not sure about the last commenters post but yes it was a glass pane attached to ceiling with a metal rail that was in turn affixed to the ceiling with a couple drywall anchors and silicone to glue/seal it. When I removed the rail some of the silicone ripped off the facing paper. In the process of redoing the bathroom and the new glass pane will not attach at the same point so I think I am ok... Not sure if that's what you were saying?

Thanks all for their input! Happy holidays to all!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts